Judy, Nurse
Experience:  RN in ICU for 35 years

i am leaking blood from my rectum, and also having ...

Customer Question

i am leaking blood from my rectum. it is leaking when i urinate and while having a bowel movement. i am also having moderately painful cramps in my lower abdoman
Category: Health
Expert:  Judy replied 9 years ago.
Are you saying that the blood is coming from both the urinary tract AND the rectum?
Or are you saying that it comes out of the rectum when you bear down to pass urine?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Judy's Post: just from the rectum
Expert:  Judy replied 9 years ago.
Sorry I was elsewhere in the site when you posted your reply (helping others as they say). Blood from the rectum if dark is likely to be from higher in the GI tract - such as from a stomach ulcer, etc. But if it is brighter red, it is more likely to be from lower in the tract - hemorrhoids, fissures, tears, ulcers in the lowertract. A small amount (couple drops) if you have hemorrhoids is nothing to be concerned about, but if it is coating or inside the stool, you need to see a gastroenterologist for a scope to see what the problem is. If the blood is a lot and you feel dizzy, shaky, weak, etc., you need to go to the emergency room to get your blood count checked and to see if you need medications (vitamin K), blood products (plasma, red blood cells, platelets), or further diagnostic workup (bleeding scan, colonoscopy, upper endoscopy). They can also do more testing to see what is making the blood not clot if that is an issue.