Dr. Hanson
Dr. Hanson, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Diplomate, American Board of Quality Assurance & Utilization Review Physicians

Ive had yellow toenails and cracked dry skin on my

Customer Question

I've had yellow toenails and cracked dry skin on my feet for years and years (actually I have intense dry skin all over). However, I've read up on fungus and the rarer yellow nail syndrome, and I haven't found a description or picture that looks like my nails at all. Not even close. For one thing, it's just my two big toenails, they aren't shaped funny, crumbly, no jagged edges, they still grow just fine, the surface is smooth, even shiny. It also doesn't worsen, and if I buff it, it seems to look a little better. I wonder if it's just some kind of nutritional deficiency? And who should I go see about it, a foot doc or a dermatologist?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 7 years ago.
Since you have already researched the possible conditions online, I would not like to hazard any futher guesses.
A foot doctor would probably be a better idea to start off with, though if that does not work out a dermatologist maybe an option too,
A nutritional deficiency is unlikely since it is affecting only two nails and that too not in a 'nutritionally deficient' sort of way from your description ...

Please ACCEPT the reply (by pressing the GREEN accept button), and give a BONUS if it was useful. If you need more information, just let me know.
Regards
Dr. Gupta

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Gaurav Gupta's Post: I'm sorry, I was hoping for a more specific answer. Maybe from someone who's dealt with foot conditions.
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 7 years ago.
Alright then,
I will be opting out of the answer, so that other experts can try answering your query,
Try relisting the question,
regards
Dr. Gupta
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: I prefer a second opinion.
I'd like the opinion of a person who's dealt with foot problems.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't understand, what information do you need? Or is this just an automated response from the website?
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 7 years ago.
I am sorry for the trouble that you are facing,
There seems to be no expert available online who will specialize in your query at the moment,
This is NOT an automated response from the website,
You may try relisting your question one more time to see if anyone is available to answer it,
I ahvae laready asked the mods to mark your question and they may make it a high priority question too, however whetehr you get a resposne will depend on availability of specific experts,
Regards
Dr. Gupta
Expert:  Dr. Hanson replied 7 years ago.

Certain diseases can affect the color of the nails. A patient with yellow nails should be examined for a systemic disease. Since it takes weeks for a nail to grow it can manifest the health status of the person e.g. yellowing of the nails is a sign of insufficient oxygen which might be due to bronchitis or some other respiratory or possibly even a heart problem. Diabetics will sometimes have yellow nails.

I recommend that you have a complete physical exam to determine if you have a systemic cause for your yellow toenails.

Dr. Hanson, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Diplomate, American Board of Quality Assurance & Utilization Review Physicians
Expert:  Doctor Nash replied 7 years ago.
I agree with Dr. Hanson that you should have a consultation. Because of your age, previous research, and the fact that you do not mention systemic, particularly pulmonary, probelms, it is doubtful that you have classical yellow nail syndrome.

I have discussed your question with a podiatrist who suggests you see a dematologist.

The graphic (below) is taken from http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/imagepages/2014.htm

graphic

I am sending this as an Information Request, so you can see it without paying. This is not an answer, so do not pay for it. You pay only for answers.

Dr. Nash

Dr. Nash