Ernesto Gutiérrez
Ernesto Gutiérrez, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD experienced in family and cosmetic medicine.

what do high segs and low lymphs

Customer Question

what do high "segs" and low "lymphs" mean on a CBC w/ diff? I was diagnosed with pneumonitis after going to the ER w/ shortness of breath. I started on methotrexate and sulfasalazine 3 weeks ago for rheumatoid arthritis also diagnosed 3 weeks ago. Is this just "normal" lab changes with methotrexate therapy or could something else be going on.

WBC 9.6
RBC 4.79
Hgb 14.4
Hct 41.9
Plt 290
segs 83
lymphs 12

Category: Health
Expert:  Ernesto Gutiérrez replied 9 years ago.
Hello! Thank you for trusting us with your question.

"Segs" and "Lymphs" are the two main cell groups which make up your WBC (white blood cells). And the number you got are percentages. Meaning that 83% of your WBC are segs, 12% are lymphs and the remaining 5% is distributed among the other groups. Your total WBC count is normal, so the shift in percentages is not something to worry about. It is mainly due to your recent pneumonic event, and your methotrexate treatment.