Ask Heather H., MS, RD, LD, CDE Your Own ...
Heather H., MS, RD, LD, CDE
Heather H., MS, RD, LD, CDE, Dietitian/Nutritionist
Experience:  Registered/Licensed Dietitian & Certified Diabetes Educator. 18 yrs of clinical experience.
3653767

I am taking clindamycin hcl 150 mg 2/ 3 times a day. I ...

I am taking clindamycin hcl 150 mg 2/ 3 times a day. I seem to be retaining a lot of fluid and getting very bloated. Is this common?
Category: Health
Expert:  Heather H., MS, RD, LD, CDE replied 10 years ago.
No, this is not a common side effect of clindamycin. Have you made any dietary changes or been eating out a lot lately? An increase in sodium intake is the most frequent cause of fluid retention and bloating.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
No I havn't

Good, at least that is one possibility you can eliminate along with the clindamycin. Since there can be many medical reasons for fluid retention and bloating, you will want to have a physical with labs checked to rule out heart, kidney, and liver issues. You also want to make sure you are up to date on your yearly female exams. If not, make sure you have this included when you see your doctor for the lab work. Here is a website for additional information: http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Fluid_retention?OpenDocument . Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.