Judy, Nurse
Experience:  RN in ICU for 35 years

why some people die with their eyes open

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Health
Expert:  Judy replied 9 years ago.
Unfortunately in my line of work, I have been with many a person when they have died or while they are dying. Sometimes the eyes get dry because the person has kept them open for a period of time before death. In this case, when the body relaxes as the time of death, the eyes often stay open. We make every effort to close the eyes as soon as possible after death so that the families can view their loved one in a more peaceful state. When this isn't possible, the eyes are closed by the morticians and they are always seen closed at the time of the official viewing, wake, or whatever it happens to be.
At other times the eyes just happened to be closed at the time of death because of a comatose state or some other reason and the eyes tend to stay closed when death occurs.