Dr. D. Evans
Dr. D. Evans, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MS in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery , Attachment to Neurosurgery.
1771736

Have red like sand in urine

NOTICED FINE RED RESIDUE IN BOWL AFTER URINATING CONSISTANCEY OF FINE SAND OR SALT. COULD EVEN BE SAID TO BE FINER THAN SALT.NO PAIN DURING URINIATION.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. D. Evans replied 9 years ago.

You are having some form of precipitates in the urine. This could be calcium, phosphate or uric acid crystals. They may be excreted in the urine as 'sludge' in the early stages.

This could mean that you were in the process of developing a urinary calculi, but instead of the stone forming, it was discharged as a sludge. If this is all, then you are in good luck. What you should do now is to drink a lot of water, upto 4 litres, for two three days to drain out any remaining sludge.

However, if the sludge remains after more than 5 days, you should approach your doctor, preferably a urologist, for further investigation. It may be that you already have a stone. It could also be due to some pathology in the bladder.

I hope this answer was helpful. If you need more information, feel free to ask. For accepting this answer, please click on the green 'accept' button below. Feedback/Bonus will be warmly appreciated.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Dr. D. Evans's Post: Why would a Doctor specializing in Neurosurgery of the neck and head answer my question as opposed to a urologist?. I would feel a lot more confident in his answer had he been an expert in the the field of urology.

XXXXX XXXXX
This is only a general site where opinions are given based on the general medical knowledge of the experts. I do not know if there is an urologist among the health experts here. But since you want a second opinion, you should relist your question.

Best of luck.