Dr. Hanson
Dr. Hanson, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Diplomate, American Board of Quality Assurance & Utilization Review Physicians

What could be causing a soapy taste in my mouth

over the last 2 weeks no matter what I eat or drink I get a soapy? taste in my mouth. Also within 10 to 15 minutes after eating my stomach hurts for a while.My diet is average with vegies ,fruits and some meat, poultry and fish. What could this be?
Category: Health
Expert:  V. Yetimyan M.D. replied 9 years ago.

Do you have any other symptoms such as dry mouth and eye , fatigue ?

Any relevant medical history ?

What are the findings if you had any Blood test or a Urine test or an X-Ray or any other tests ?

Do you have any medical illness ?

Do you take any medication ?

Expert:  Dr. Hanson replied 9 years ago.

Patients with Sjogren's Syndrome complain of having a "soapy" taste in their mouth.

Sjogren's Syndrome can produce a foul soapy taste in the mouth. Sjogren's syndrome is a chronic disorder that causes insufficient moisture production in certain glands of the body. It occurs when a person's normally protective immune system attacks and destroys moisture-producing glands including salivary glands and tear glands. 10% of people with Sjogren's Syndrome are men.

Avoid activities that increase dryness symptoms e.g. avoid smoking and avoid low-humidity environments.

Maintain adequate hydration by drinking at least 2 quarts of fluids daily.

Salagen (pilocarpine) 5 mg daily is sometimes used to increase salivary and lacrimal flow rates. Improvement takes at least 6 weeks of treatment

Cholinergic medications e.g. Evoxac (cevimeline) 30 mg 3 times a day can help to increase the activity of salivary glands.

I recommend that you be examined and treated by a rheumatologist. A diagnosis of Sjogren's Syndrome is made by the presence of auto-antibodies in the blood (anti-SSA or anti-SSB also called anti-Ro or anti-La) and/or a biopsy of the inner lip which may show inflammation which has damaged salivary glands. The Schirmer test can also be used to diagnose Sjogren's Syndrome (filter paper is placed near the lower conjunctival sac to measure tear formation).

Dr. Hanson, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Diplomate, American Board of Quality Assurance & Utilization Review Physicians
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Hanson's Post: Complete physical in Nov of 2006 Everthing ok except I did talk to the doctor about things I were experiencing. He said I was having anxciety attacks. Never had them before. He presribed low dose of Lexapro and have been taking since Nov. The soapy taste did not start till a couple of weeks ago
Antidepressant drugs such as Lexapro can cause xerostomia (dry mouth) which is why you are having a soapy taste in your mouth. Sip sugarless fluids frequently, chew xylitol-containing gum, and use a carboxymethyl cellulose saliva substitute as a mouthwash e.g. Xialine and Saliva orthana. Glandosane is a watery artificial saliva that is effective for a short period of time. Oral Balance is a gel that can be used at night. The effect of these treatments depends on the correct usage, so read the instructions carefully.