Scottish DOC
Scottish DOC, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBchB (commended),FRCA, MRCGP(with merit) I qualified in 1990 and work full-time in family medicine.
1495172

liver parenchyma is mildly increased in echogenicity, also ...

Customer Question

liver parenchyma is mildly increased in echogenicity, also the pancreas and spleen. i am currently using stanazol (steroid oral). Is this a major problem?
Category: Health
Expert:  Scottish DOC replied 7 years ago.

Hi.

Why were you having the scan?

How much do you weigh?

AI

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Alexander Irvine's Post: abdomen pain... 90 kilos.. a bit overwight but i am fairly built. i hsve only used stanazol once before

Hi.

Do you know the result of your liver function tests? ( blood tests).

AI

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Alexander Irvine's Post: my alt levels were very high but dropped as i lost a bit of weight. the specialist said that i should go back and see him in three months..i dont have the test results here but i know the alts and asts where up a fair bit which caused the doctor to send me to a specialist
i had an ultrasound done to which the results where in my first question...the conclusin of the ultrasound says: Heterogenous echotexture of liver, spleen and pancreas. The spleen much less so... correlation with a peripheral blood smear is recommended in the first instance

Hi.

A raised AST and ALT is consistent with "hepatitis" - do not panic - hepatitis simply means inflammation of the liver.

The most common cause is a build up of fatty tissue in the liver - "fatty liver." - and the fact that your ALT came down with weight loss would be consistent with that diagnosis.

Your Dr should have done a screen for infections - hep B, C etc already.

I expect the specialist will repeat your bloods and have a look at your scan - he may well be happy to leave it at that or may want to do a liver biopsy if the diagnosis is uncertain.

Your use of anabolic steroids may have aggravated this problem - I expect that you will avoid them in the future.

Please let me know if anything is not clear.

AI