A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

How long does crack cocaine stay in an unborn babys system

Customer Question

My friend just found out that she was almost 5 months pregant and she was using crack cocaine.. She really wants to stop but to help her I want to know how long it will stay in the unborn baby's system
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 9 years ago.

To me the answer to your question would depend on what you mean "stay in the baby's system." If you mean how long the baby will test positive for cocaine and put the mother at legal risk, then the answer is 7-10 days. If you mean how long effects of her cocaine abuse will stay with the baby, they can last forever and include physical deformities, low birth weight, mental retardation, and many other maladies the child will have for the rest of its life....or it could die in utero, or of SIDS soon after birth.