Nurse Annie
Nurse Annie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  PHD RN 40+ years in nursing all depts & units 20+ years as a midwife, certified lactation consultant

why does my vaginal discharge smell like yogurt or sour milk

Customer Question

my discharge is a thick white discharge which smells like sour milk.
I recently was treated for BV and all was fine until I woke up this morning.
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Annie replied 9 years ago.

It's possible that you have a yeast infection. Yeast infection symptoms include a yeast type odor, itching around the vaginal opening and surrounding area, and a cottage cheese type discharge. If you have never had one before, then you will need to see your doctor for an exam so it can be confirmed. Then you can obtain over the counter yeast infection medication. Make sure you eat a balanced diet, and drinking acidophilus milk or eating yogurt that contains live Lactobacillus organisms can also be helpful in keeping a balance. Cotton underwear is also helpful in preventing moisture from developing. Make sure after going to the bathroom that you wipe from front to back. Avoid use of any types of feminine sprays, talcs etc as they can also disrupt the normal balance. Also avoid any type of scented toilet paper. You can read more about yeast infections here