Dr. Chuck
Dr. Chuck, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  I am an Award Winning Pediatrician with over ten years of clinical experience.
3789141

What does an elevated C R protein in your blood work mean

Customer Question

I have arthritis and this is the first time I have had this blood work done
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chuck replied 7 years ago.
Are you referring to the C-Reactive protein which is often increased in certain inflammatory conditions?
Expert:  Dr. Chuck replied 7 years ago.
I am sorry to have asked you a question that you may not can answer. I am pretty sure that the C R protein of which you speak measured in your lab work is the C-Reactive Protein. I can give you more information on this.

The C Reactive protein, is a protein in your body which does many things and we are not entirely sure at this point what all it does do. We do know this about it though. The C-Reactive protein (or CRP) can be used to detect the amount of inflammation associated with several inflammatory diseases.

Arthritis is an inflammatory disease and the CRP would be typically elevated in someone with active arthritis. If your arthritis is not currently as "active", this would mean that there is less inflammation going on in your joints. The CRP would typically go down if your arthritis were less active, and it would typically go up if it were more active.

Because of this, the CRP can be used as an indicator of inflammation in your body and can be used by your doctor to see how "active" your arthritis is. He might want to even follow this CRP to see how it changes in response to certain therapies. He might also use the CRP to help him decide what type of therapy would be best for you.

There are other indicators of inflammation such as the erythrocyte sedimentation rate or ESR or commonly referred to as the "sed rate". This one can also be used in the same way.

More recently there have been discovered "highly sensitive" CRPs that are beginning to be used to help determine ones risk factors for heart disease, but I suspect the CR Protein in your blood work is the CRP that I have referred to above.

I hope that this information has been helpful for you.