Rebecca, Dietitian
Experience:  I have worked in adult and maternal nutrition, child nutrition, lactation, and care for 7 years

My cheeks flush or get red after one or two glasses of ...

My cheeks flush or get red after one or two glasses of wine. Is that normal? Or is there something I can do about it.
Thank you Rich
Category: Health
Expert:  Rebecca replied 9 years ago.

Flush after drinking wine is really very common, especially among people with slightly elevated blood pressure or very fair skin. It all depends on how responsive your body is to the enzymes that metabolize alcohol and the xanthins in wine. Dehydration can also cause increased flushing - and all alcohol shifts the water balance in the body. While it's claimed that Asians and Native Americans suffer from this more than the general population, I hear the complaint from all races, sizes, and genders.

As for how to prevent, sometimes famotidine (OTC heartburn treatment) will help. I've found that lots of water to flush the wine and not drinking on an empty stomach will also reduce the effect. For wine itself, a white wine will contain less of the offending substances than a red wine.

Hope that helps! Thank you for your question and come back anytime!