Sarah Rachel
Sarah Rachel, Nutritional Consultant / Herbalist
Experience:  Nutritional Consultant, Herbalist, Natural Health Advocate, Studying to be a Holistic Practitioner

Customer Question

how does smoking tobacco effect your bodies vitamin b 12
Category: Health
Expert:  Sarah Rachel replied 9 years ago.

Hello my friend,

I understand your concern and I will do everything I can to help. Smoking affect the body in many ways. One of the may ways it affect the human body is by constricting blood vessels and decreasing vital oxygen to the all the organs of the body. Its like slowly suffocating your body over time and saturating your organs with toxins. Smoking affects the aging process by accelerating it 10 times the normal rate. This is mainly due to the excess free radical damage and oxygen depletion. B-12 is one of the most potent and essential vitamins that we need in order to thrive. Smoking affects the absorption of this vital nutrient. Many smokers are actually deficient in vitamin B-12 among other vitamins.

I hope this helps. Please click on accept otherwise please request more information. I am always here for you.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
please expand on your answer exactly what does smoking do to your bodies vitamin b12? does it deplete it and will you have to take vitaimn b12 supplement or b12 injections??? please give more clear and percise answere

EmbarassedInnocentSurprisedHello my friend,

Smoking depletes your body of the vitamin B-12 that you already have stored within your tissues and in addition it affects the absorption of new vitamin B-12 that you ingest through pills or injections. Injections would be best if your looking to get B-12 because at least this way you would get some of what you need as it goes directly into your blood stream delaying the time it takes for the nicotine to take hold. What vitamins do especially B-12 is block free radical damage. Free radical damage happens naturally as we age and are exposed to toxins in the environment. Well the chemicals in cigarettes smoke primarily tobacco actually cause an accelerated amount of free radical damage within the body, and by doing this it literally neutralizes any of the good guys within the body such as vitamins and minerals. Some prescription drugs can also deplete your body of this essential vitamin. You may simply need to take higher concentrations of this vitamin or go with the injections to counteract what cigarettes will do. It also depends on how often you smoke. I know it can be very hard to quit and I understand. My husband smoked for 7 years and quit 5 years ago. It was one of the hardest things he has ever done, but its done him a world of good. If your un able to quit at this time I recommend doing everything you can to counteract what the smoking is doing to your body. Take a whole food multi-vitamin supplement with extra B-vitamins. You will need 50mg or more per day or you may want to opt for the injections. Be sure to drink 8 to 10 glasses of water per day to help flush out excess toxins and take organic flax seed oil each day to help your brain, skin and heart. You may actually only get half of the vitmains you consume because of the nicotene taking away the other half, but at least its better than not getting anything. I wish you the best of luck.

Please let me know if you need more information. I am always here for you.

Sarah :)SmileCoolLaughingKissInnocent