Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Twenty years experience in active private practice
1725470

I have a pain in the bone under my left little toe - ...

Customer Question

I have a pain in the bone under my left little toe - maybe caused by a little swelling- came about mostly after artroscopic knee surgery on the left leg approx. 5 weeks ago-- the knee seems fine- but I can't place much weight on the foot-
any idea what may be a cause-

thanks-
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD replied 9 years ago.

Did you have any swelling before the surgery - a small lump perhaps?

Can you feel any lump now or is the whole toe swollen and painful?

Do you have pain all the time or only when you press on the lump?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD's Post: i did sporadically have a little swelling around the ankle and on the top of the foot- especially after running around playing golf up and down hills-
but I don't recall the pain directly on the ball of the foot under the little toe- am thinking that I have arthritis brewing- the orthopedic doc says that I have a serious arthritis situation in my knees- I have played basketball all throughout my life, along with other sports- but this really has gotten difficult to walk on- the pain really has gotten bad since my knee surgery-I do seem to have a lump on my shin bone-

The commonest cause of a pain on the ball of the foot under a toe is the formation of bone spurs.

Bone spurs are extra bits of bone that form near joints, usually joints that are affected by arthritis. Constant friction, as by the active life you have led, can also cause minor trauma to the bones of the foot leading to spur formation as a defensive mechanism.

They do not, by themselves cause any problems but causes pain when they press on nearby ligaments or tendons. Since you already have arthritis of the knee, it is possible that you also have arthritis of other joints, like the ankle and those of the toe.

An Xray or a CT scan should be able to diagnose the bone spur quite well.

If the spur is causing a lot of problem, it will need to be removed.

To know more about bone spurs, please see:

- http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/arthritis/g/bonespur.htm

- http://www.webmd.com/hw/joint_problems/tp23003.asp

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you need more input. If not, please click on the green"Accept" button on this page. A positive rating and adding a bonus will be warmly appreciated.