Gloria K
Gloria K, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  RN, pediatrics, geriatrics, acute care
2504518

why does my pinky finger twitch

my little pinky finger been twitching on and off for the last few days.there is no pain or stiffness just twitching. why is this?
Category: Health
Expert:  Gloria K replied 10 years ago.
HiCustomer thanks for using Just Answer for your question. My name's XXXXX XXXXX I'm online now to help.

1. Can you tell me about your medical history ( ie; any conditions, diseases, past surgeries, or medications that you are taking?)

2. What type of work do you do?

3. Do you use the computer a lot?

4. Is this the right or left hand?

5. Any other symptoms or twitching anywhere else on the body?

6. How long does the twitching last when it happens?

Write me back with your answers, I'd be glad to help. Thanks, Gloria
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
1. im a healthy individual with no medical problems. the only surgery i had was a caesarian with my first child.on no medication.

2. im a student

3. yes i do use the computer, but that much.

4. im right handed, but the twitching is on my left.

5.once twitching on the thigh, but no where else

6. it last for about less than a minute
Expert:  Gloria K replied 10 years ago.
Thanks for your quick reply to my questions. Just a few more for you?

1. Have you used the left hand at all to lift anything or do any hard work recently?

2. Any injury to this hand recently?

3. Do you have a family doctor?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
1. i used the left and right hand put the shopping into the car..but that wasnt that hard, even though some of the goods were heavy.but i didnt feel any discomfort.

2.no injury to hand

3. yes have a family doctor
Expert:  Gloria K replied 10 years ago.
HiCustomer please give me a few moments while I write you an answer.

It may take me a few moments, hang on, I'm still online and still with you!

Thanks, Gloria
Expert:  Gloria K replied 10 years ago.
HiCustomer thanks for your patience in waiting for my answer.

Since this has been happening for just a few days, and if it's never happened before, it may be caused by muscle fatigue or strain from over exertion. Some doctors believe that this twitching may also be related to stress in some people. Call your family doctor now and let him/her know about this symptom, since your doctor knows your entire medical history.

Your doctor may want to see you for a physical exam and to check your reflexes. Occasionally, this type of twitching may be known as a benign fasiculation- or harmless twitch. This is diagnosed by a neurologist. Your doctor may refer you to a neurologist to do more testing to find the cause and make sure that it's not neurological or spine/disc/nerve related. If it is a benign fasiculation and if it's bothersome, your doctor may prescribe medications to help control it. Call your doctor to make an appointment for an exam.

If you have anymore questions, please continue to ask- that's what I'm here for! Otherwise, if you are satisfied with this answer, and if I have helped you, please hit the accept button and leave positive feedback. Thanks, Gloria

Information contained herein is not intended for the diagnosis or treatment of medical conditions and is not a substitute for professional medical care. Please call/seek your doctor now about your symptoms. Information provided should not be used during any emergency situation- call 911 for all medical emergencies.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
hi there jus waiting for my reply.

thankyou
Expert:  Gloria K replied 10 years ago.
HiCustomer I'm not sure if you can see my answer above?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
there is one thing id like to ask.

i have the occasional back pain, probably due to bad posture in bed (as i sleep on my tummy) and bad posture pobably due to sitting. could that contribute.

zahida
Expert:  Gloria K replied 10 years ago.
Hi zahida, sorry, I stepped away from my computer for a moment.

1. How long have you had the back pain?

2. Can you describe the bad posture?