Dr. D. Evans
Dr. D. Evans, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MS in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery , Attachment to Neurosurgery.
1771736

I have pain in the tips of my fingers

I feel pain in my finger tips that feel like needles and at the same time feel itchy.

Since you are online, could you please give some more info:

Do you have diabetes?

How long have you had this sensation?

Is it always there or is it increased by exercise or by lifting your hand?

I am available online to help you after i get this info.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
I don't think I am diabetic, but my last blood test should a glocose reading (three months ago) of 105 which I think is slightly elevated. This sensation started this morning.

Hand Numbness:

A large number of diseases could cause such numbness, the commonest ones being:

Cervical disc lesion: This may be associated with pain in the neck and weakness of the arm.

Peripheral neuropathy: common conditions causing this are diabetes, Vit. B deficiency, etc.

Vascular insufficiency: Atherosclerosis of arteries, claudication, etc, may cause vascular insufficiency.

You should also remember some common causes which are also the most likely. It may be that you had sat in an odd position for some time putting pressure on your arm which is giving it now a pins and needles sensation. Coldness of the hands may also cause these symptoms.

I would suggest that you simply warm your hands and relax, in all probability it should go away soon enough. If the symptoms increase suddenly, and specially if it is in your left hand, you need to consult and ER because there is a chance that it could be from the heart. If the symptoms persist chronically for days, then you need to consult yor doctor or a neurologist if possible and get yourself checked up, you may need a CT or MRI of the brain and spinal column and tests for muscle conductivity and nerve velocity, etc. and other tests for peripheral neuropathy.

You may look up this site for a discussion on problems similar to yours:

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/peripheralneuropathy/detail_peripheralneuropathy.htm

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/herniated-disk/HD99999

I hope this answer was helpful. If you need more information, feel free to ask.