Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

red urine

could excessive drinking of cranberry juice turn urine red?
Anthocyanin (red-blue pigments) are indeed detected in urine after ingestion of cranberry juice.
Urinary excretion of anthocyanins in humans after cranberry juice ingestion

HOWEVER, in my experience this typically does not cause urine to turn RED. At the concentration they are found in urine, they typically cause only a dark yellow maybe orange.

I would suggest she have a urinalysis to determine if this is indeed blood - a possible sign of an infection or other serious problem in the urinary tract.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
so, if her urine is red, she has back pain and is frequently urinating, she most likely has a UTI? she is, by the way, an insulin dependent diabetic with a history of UTI, stroke and other meds ...
That would be one of my concerns. Other possible causes; kidney stone or an excessive dose of anticoagulant ("blood thinner").

I would be very concerned that this is an infection. She should be seen by a physician.

You do not need to ACCEPT the question again - This is a continuation of the original question.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
so, if her urine is red, in spite of excessive cranberry juice, and she has frequent urination, lower back pain and a history of UTI (she's also insulin dependent diabetic, has history of stroke, and is on other meds) she likely has a UTI after her fallen bladder surgery a few days ago???
YES, that would be my major concern. I would want to get a urine specimen checked. along with a culture.