Dr. D. Evans
Dr. D. Evans, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MS in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery , Attachment to Neurosurgery.

I have had a dry hacking cough for two weeks. Now I have a ...

I have had a dry hacking cough for two weeks. Now I have a sharp pain on my right side when I cough. Started below the breast and now is above....
Since you are online, could you please give some more information:

Do you have any fever?

Do you have any sore throat?

Do you have any diseases like diabetes?

I am available online to help you further after I get this info
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I don't have a fever or a sore throat although it looks like I have thrush or and bumpy on the roof of my mouth and a little white on my tongue. Otherwise healthy (no other diseases)...a runner/basketball player etc.

In general, coughs are usually not a problem to treat and go away with some simple medications. Your cough sounds like an allergic cough.

You can try some of these measures:

OTC antitussives: Brand names - Triaminic Cold & Cough, Robitussin Maximum Strength, Vicks 44 Cough Relief.
OTC antiallergics: Benadryl Allergy, Nytol.
Menthol steam inhalation : this is also very useful, take some staming hot water in a bowl, add Mentho salts available OTC and inhale the steam.
Logenges: such Vicks cough logenges or any hard sweets constantly, this will cause a constant flow of saliva and give you relief.

Continue this treatment for about two weeks.

HOWEVER, if your cough increases, if your pain in the chest increases or if the cough is not relieved in another two weeks, you have to approach your doctor for an investigation and prescription drugs.

I hope this answer was helpful. If you need more information, feel free to ask. For accepting this answer, please click on the green 'accept' button below. Feedback/Bonus is appreciated

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Dr. D. Evans's Post: I guess I'm wondering if I should get an xray done or does this type of sharp pain eventually occurs sometimes when you've been hacking 24/7 for 2 weeks...

An xray of course can be done in coughs. But in general, you would expect some pain in the chest with this amount of coughing. In my personal opinion, you can try this OTC medicines and wait for some time, specially since you do not have any fever, the pain occurs only during the time of coughing and is not continuous, and your cough is dry. All this usually indicates a benign cough which resolves with some simple measures. Hence I advised you to try some medicines for some time. But of course as I said, if the cough or pain increases, or you have any bleeding, fever, etc, you must approach a doctor immediately who would advise xrays as the first step.