Doctor_Shiv(M.D)
Doctor_Shiv(M.D), MD
Experience:  Experienced Physician Specialising in Medicine,Gynae,ER
2559292

Can you please explain MRSA, in simple terms

I have a 4 month old son who has had 2 upper respirtory infections and a bronchilor infection. Should he be exposed to a person that has MRSA? The MRSA is in a stoma, which is in the saliva. Does this make the MRSA airborne (because when you sneeze the droplets land 4ft out) and contact precaution? I am a LNA and my fiance and his family do not feel that there is no reason why our son should not be able to be in the room with this person that has MRSA. Is MRSA crontracted from one person to another through open wounds, nose, mouth and eyes? Is MRSA a disease? I need this information ASAP as my fiance wants to bring our son to this person and let him be in the same room near the individual with MRSA. I am not comfortable with introducing my healthy son to a disease that he can have for the rest of his life. Also, I am asking this adivce of someone other than our peditrician because my fiance feels that our peditrician is only saynig "no" because he is my doctor. Thanks, Trina
Category: Health
Expert:  Doctor_Shiv(M.D) replied 7 years ago.

Hi

Most commonly MRSA is transmitted between individuals by direct contact. Therefore, hand washing between the care of residents is the most effective means to prevent the spread of this bacteria.

Airborne spread is rare.

It commonly spreads by hands.And spread by air is very rare.

MRSA can be transmitted through contaminated items. Cover all wounds with a clean bandage, and avoid contact with other people's soiled bandages

Click here

http://www.mrsa.uk.com/docs/passed_on.htm

Thanks

Hope it helps

Take Care

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Doctor_Shiv(M.D)'s Post: So is it a good idea to bring a 4 month old that already has had 2 upper respitory infections and a broncholor infection into contact with someone that has MRSA? I clicked on the site you provided and it states "It is important to remember that MRSA rarely causes problems for fit and healthy people.", I would not consider my son to be fit and healthy since he has already had all of the above since 12/26/06. What do you think?

Hi

As i mentioned in my previous post that MRSA most commonly spreads by Hands.

Also it rarely spread by the air .

So it is up to you.. If you can , then avoid . But for some time you can bring in contact.Note that is is never 100 percent safe

Thanks

Hope it helps

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Doctor_Shiv(M.D)'s Post: It is not recommended that a person with MRSA hold the baby, have the baby touch any of the persons items (bed, clothes, etc.) and for the baby's health, the person with MRSA could see him from a distance, perferably in seperate rooms?

Yeah ,

Ideally speaking MRSA should be isolated.

So keep your Kids away from MRSA sufferer.

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What do you mean MRSA sufferer? Are you referring to people that knowingly are infected with MRSA?

Hi

I mean to say if a person has diagnosed with MRSA , he should be isolated.

Thanks

Hope it helps

Doctor_Shiv(M.D), MD
Experience: Experienced Physician Specialising in Medicine,Gynae,ER