Dr. D. Evans
Dr. D. Evans, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MS in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery , Attachment to Neurosurgery.
1771736

wHAT CAUSES CALCIUM TO LEAVE THE BONES AND SPILL INTO ...

wHAT CAUSES CALCIUM TO LEAVE THE BONES AND SPILL INTO THE BLOOD STREAMS? THE PATIENT HAS BREAST CANCER. A BONE SCAN SHOWED THIS RESULT.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. D. Evans replied 9 years ago.
Since you are online, could you please give some more information:

What exactly was the result of the bone scan - did they say it was osteoporosis?

Was there any metastasis or spread to the bones?

I am available online to help you further after I get this info.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
RECENTLY DIAGNOSED WITH BREAST CANCER.6 weeks ago had lumpectomy and removeal of 8 lymph nodes. Patient has history of rhumatoid arthritis,medicated with methatraxin and oxiconton.(spelling?). Has been nauses and has a loss of 15 lbs.in the past 4-5 weeks. Am no sure about osteoporosis. could the calcium spill be the result of metastases? or from any other problem? Thank you.
Yes, hypercalcemia or excessive calcium in the blood occurs commonly from cancer and is particularly common in conjunction with breast cancer with bone metastasis. It occurs due to the destruction of bone by the bone metastases.

This is one of the known complications of breast cancer.

You can look up this site for some more info:
http://www.ufscc.ufl.edu/Patient/content.aspx?section=ufscc&id=23137

I hope this answer was helpful. If you need more information, feel free to ask. For accepting this answer, please click on the green 'accept' button below.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
What is the best treatment for this comdition? and is it sucsessful and cureable ? Thank you.    
      A very worried Mom
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
The patient has had osteoarthritis for some time. Please tell me what proceedure is done to correct this condition and if it can be corrected. How does it effect the rest of her body?   Why was ther such a great weight loss in such a short time? 5 weeks.   Thank you.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I have asked you for the treatment for the condition of calcium leaving the bones and entering the bloodstream,2 times and have not recived an answer from you. Please reply.

Sorry for the delay in answering your question. I was unable to log on yesterday for some personal reasons, and hence did not respond to your question.

Hypercalcemia in cancers may occur without metastasis to the bones due to increased activity of cells in the bones which are called osteoclasts, the normal function of these is to cause resolution of the bone matrix during the maintenance process of the bones.

For the treatment of hypercalcemia, the condition is divided into mild, moderate and severe.

In mild cases, the treatment consists of a class of drugs called biphosphates, these help to reduce the activity of the osteoclasts. This is a comparatively new and effective treatment.

In moderate cases, the patient has to be admitted to the hospital, where the main treatment is IV fluids, which help to dilute the calcium level, and diuretics called Furosemides like Lasix.

Severe cases may be life-threatening, and the patient will usually require intensive care with monitioring of the calcium level, and may be advised for Haemodyalisis.

You may look up these sites for some more info:
http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic260.htm
http://www.cancersupportivecare.com/hypercalcemia.html