Dr. D. Evans
Dr. D. Evans, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MS in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery , Attachment to Neurosurgery.

I have a throbbing pain in the right side of my neck. It ...

I have a throbbing pain in the right side of my neck. It happens on and off throughout the day. It is not a muscle pain. I am worried that I have some weird blockage in the artery in my neck or something. It has been happening for about three months. I am worried!
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. D. Evans replied 9 years ago.
Since you are online, could you please give some more information:

On which part of the enck exactly does it happen?

Does it occur on more or less the same area each time?

How long does it last, a few seconds or so?

I am available online to help you further after I get this info.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Dr. D. Evans's Post: On the right side, longways, in the area below the ear (a few inches down -- maybe three or four inches down is the top of where the pain is, and it ends near the base of my neck). The pain is always in the same area. When it happens I habitually put my right hand up there and kind of massage it because it hurts. It lasts for a few minutes, but will come back on and off for a much longer period of time. Then I may not notice it until later in the day. I think I notice it more when I am sitting and not busy doing something.
Hi Jenny,

The pain you describe and the area is typically a pain of Trigeminal Neuralgia.

This is a lesion of a nerve called the trigeminal nerve which supplies that area. This nerve sometimes shoots off intermittently in some persons. It is not life threatening of debiliting, but you will need to take a drug called Tegretol. You have to approach your doctor, preferably a neurologist.

You may look up this site for some more info:

I hope this answer was helpful. If you need more information, feel free to ask. For accepting this answer, please click on the green 'accept' button below.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
What I read about this with the link you have given me, says that people experince pain in the face. My pain is not in the face at all, and is not a "stabbing" pain. Could this still be the same thing even though my "throbbing" pain is in the middle to lower neck?

Trigeminal nerve supplies both the face and the neck, specially the region below the ear. This is the typical site of the pain. The pain is also typically described in the text books as a 'lancinating' type of pain, and not stabbing, ie, a kind of shooting pain. The web site need not be authentic. Of course, what i have given you is only a suggestion, i certainly could not make a diagnosis without an actual examination. But based on what you describe, and my own experinece, it fits the diagnosis of trigeminal pain to me.