Deborah, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Registered NP - Multispeciality

What is Bio-gel I was interested in getting a butt lift, ...

Customer Question

What is Bio-gel? I was interested in getting a butt lift, and was told that bio-gel injections give the butt a boost and a more rounded look? What are the side effects.
Category: Health
Expert:  Natasha Wallis replied 9 years ago.
A general search on Google for this as a trademark did not yield conclusive results but I do know quite a bit about buttock augmentation.

The proven methods are either Implants or Fat injections. Both have drawbacks in that implants are like breast implants but the buttocks are far more at risk of damage and is advised against.

Fat injections are normally only temporary though some surgeons use it in body sculpting but you have to wear a full body corset for months afterwards.

At your age, why not let nature takes its time and learn to live with your body for now, for in a few years time you may very well be struggling with a big bum as opposed to a small one.

A word of warning, some people have resorted to free-silicone injections put in by unlicensed black market butchers which has resulted in their deaths. Free silicone is dangerous.

Why not go to a gym and get a trainer to help develop your buttock area or buy specisl pants which enhance what you have already?

If you want more information on buttock enhancement, please click HERE but please do not think I am advocating that organisation or even suggesting buttock enhancement by surgical means is a good thing at all. Any other ideas for enhancement should be regarded with suspicion.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Iam not satisfied with the answer. This is all information I had. The reason why I decided to ask the question was because I had been searching on the internet and found nothing. This answer leaves me in the same place.
Expert:  Deborah replied 9 years ago.

I work in the OR with plastic surgeons on occasion. My friend is a scrub nurse for a well respected plastic surgeon here in California.

She has informed me that this method of gluteal augmentation is not recommended. It is used quite often used in Latin America and is not deemed medically safe. It is not recognized by the FDA and no board certified plastic surgeon in the USA would utilize these injections.

This is the priamry reason you were most likely unable to find any info related to this on the internet.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I would like to know more as to what bio-gel is, is it silicon? and what are the risks, does this gel migrate in the body?
Expert:  Deborah replied 9 years ago.
It appears to be a rubber/silicone base and it has potential to migrate, become lumpy and also cause a serious skin infection known as cellulitis.
Deborah, Nurse (RN)
Experience: Registered NP - Multispeciality