Virginia
Virginia, PhD Nurse
Experience:  10 yrs Medical RN, 25+ yrs Psychiatric RN, Psych NP 15 yrs, Psychotherapy & Medication
3170833

woke up with blood in mouth, what would cause it

went to sleep feeling fine woke up and spat out blood, no pain or symptoms
Category: Health
Expert:  Virginia replied 9 years ago.

How much blood? Was it bright red?

Has it happened before?

Has is happened since?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
when I woke up I could taste blood, which was not there when I went to sleep, I went to the sink and spat out red blood a couple of times, I have tasted blood before but never spat it, in the past. I have never had any pain or symptoms of any kind.
Expert:  Virginia replied 9 years ago.

It does not sound serious. You may break some small blood vessels in your nose at night. The heat in the winter is very drying on the nose vessels causing them to be quite fragile, sometimes breaking easily. IAs we age the vessels also become more fragile. If you are taking aspirin or a blood thinner this will add to the problem.

I suggest you use a humidifier in your bedroom and keep the inside of your nose lubricated (a little Vaseline will do)

If the bleeding gets worse or more often see a doctor. Also make sure the blood is NOT being coughed up from your lung.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I keep the windows open and my radiator turned off to keep my room as cold as a fridge, with plenty of air circulation, although I have had nose bleeds in the past.
Expert:  Virginia replied 9 years ago.

Even if it is cool in the room, it cold still be dry.

A humidifer would still help the air in the entire house.

Hope this helps.