Judy, Nurse
Experience:  RN in ICU for 35 years

I have little white deposits in the back of my throat that ...

I have little white deposits in the back of my throat that are embedded in the back of my throat area and then come out. They come and go. what is it?
Hi stefers,

It is likely that you are suffering from chronic pharyngitis. This is a recurrent infection of the back of your throat, when the infection occurs small lymphoid follicles in the region can get enlarged and may be seen as white deposits. Another possibility is keratosis pharynx, this is a benign disease of an unknown cause, but it does not cause any prblems. In any case, if the problem is worrying you, you should consult an ENT specialist who would be able to examine you directly.

If this answer has been helpful, please click on the green accept button.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Since the deposits "come out", they are creating little indented holes in the back of my throat area, right next to my "hangy ball". Could this be any form of cancer? Also, how would they "cure" this? With medications or surgery?
A clarification, if I may. When we are born, there are hollow areas in the tonsils and they usually "fill in" over the years. Some people retain these hollow spots and the food particles, saliva, bacteria collect forming "tonsil stones" that then come out. They are firm, but slightly squishy, and emit a very foul smell when they are "squished." These do not cause cancer and there is really no treatment - some people find that frequent vigorous gargling will keep them down to a minimum, others resort to tonsillectomy, but there isn't a clear indication of the need for this surgery.
Judy, Nurse
Experience: RN in ICU for 35 years
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thank you so much. That is what my dr. diagnosed me with a couple of years ago. They are firm but when they get "squished" per say, they have a horrible smell. This makes me feel very comfertable. Thank you so much.
You are very welcome, please leave feedback if you have the time.Wink