Doctor_Manju
Doctor_Manju, Physician & Gynaecologist
Experience:  Medicine Consultant .Well experienced in Emergency &Gynae
3059404

Can you have anesthesia done when you have a cold with ...

Can you have anesthesia done when you have a cold with no
fever? It is safe to do?
Category: Health
Expert:  Doctor_Manju replied 7 years ago.

Hi

What is your age & sex?

Do you have any cough?

For what surgical procedure anaesthesia is to be given?

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My daughters age is almost 9. She has a small
cyst or mass, not sure what, about 7 mil at the
base of her throat by the thyroid. It doesn't
appear to be attached to the thyroid or anything
for that matter. But won't know until they go
in. She has a very slight cough I think from her
sinuses draining. The cold started just yesterday
evening. I called today and the nurse said I could give her triminic, which I did and she has
no cough at this time.

Ok

An important role of the anesthesiologist is to ensure that your daughter breathes freely when asleep for surgery. This is more of a challenge she has a cold because she may have a lot of secretions and her air passages may be more sensitive. Sometimes this can result in coughing and spasm of the airways.

The decision to cancel Anaesthesia & hence surgery with a cold is based on a number of factors:

Typically, person whose cold is limited to the nose and upper parts of the throat, whose secretions are clear, who do not have a fever, and who do not feel sleepy or lethargic can be safely anesthetized.

Person who look sick, who have a fever (over 100oF) and have yellow or green secretions probably should have their surgery cancelled.

As your child has no other symptom other than cold, he can be anaesthetised safely.

Hope this helps

Thanks

any more help......

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the surgery isn't until thursday, so far her nose
discharge is clear. Should I continue to give
her the triminic until thursday or should I stop
after today?

Hello

Although Triaminic is safe but it may cause dizziness or drowsiness.

So I advice you to stop it before 12 hours of surgery.

Thanks

Any more help.......

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Though you answered it is safe to go ahead, in
your professional opinion, do think it would be
safer to just let the cold pass and then do
surgery?

The main thing is thatanesthesiologist is to ensure that your patient should breath freely when asleep for surgery.

Giving anaesthesia depends on number of factors.

As she has clear secretions with no fever giving anaesthesia is safe.

Yes, if the surgery is not an emergency it can also be postponed.For this you have to consult your surgeon.

Doctor_Manju, Physician & Gynaecologist
Experience: Medicine Consultant .Well experienced in Emergency &Gynae