Pauline
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.

throwing up black tar

Customer Question

My brother and his friends were drinking. They only had a few drinks. Then my brother got really mad, not like him. He pass out and seemed dead his eyes were opened, but he was a sleep. My mom finally after shaking him hard and dragging him across the room he finally got up. He had thrown up a black tar all over himself. He was so mad then crying then mad my mom was had to call the police for her own safty. He was never been like this before. He is in good shape. The police says the can not get him up. One of his friends made a drink using his glass. his friend did not get mad but got very sick and started throwing up the same type of black tar. No eles got sick.
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 7 years ago.

Black tar vomit usually means bleeding from the stomach such as with a stomach ulcer. I wonder if his drink has been contaminated with something?

The other cause of bleeding after vomiting is when there is a tear in the esophagus from excessive vomiting which causes bleeding from blood vessels.

These symptoms call for an urgent visit to ER for investigation. Any samples of the vomit and the affected drink/glass should also be taken if possible.

Regards

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am thinking the drink was contaminated because his friend used that glass and started throwing up black tar. If it was could that explain why he got that mad
Expert:  Pauline replied 7 years ago.

If the drink was contaminated with a mood altering substance then that could explain the change in behavior, he would need some blood tests to clarify this.

The other common reason for change in behavior is a hypoglycemia attack where the blood sugar drops really low but this would mainly occur in insulin dependent diabetics who had been drinking without adjusting their insulin levels.

Although unlikely in his age, a problem in the brain could also cause this sudden change too.

You must check that he is getting medical care right now.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I want to say think. The police has sent him to the hospital. The doctors are running test, and are saying he is non resposnive. What does that mean? They are saying they belive it is contaminated drink.
Expert:  Pauline replied 7 years ago.

If the doctors are saying that he is non responsive then he is unconscious and not responding to the usual stimuli or to immediate treatment. It means that his body has shut down in order to try to repair itself. It could mean that he is very ill and that whatever has triggered this episode has been very toxic. If his friends have any idea what may have been taken that could have mixed with the alcohol to trigger this then they must let his doctors know. The hospital will run blood tests but it will be a while before the results come back and until the doctors know for sure what the cause is, there is only symptomatic treatment that they can give.

So they can keep an eye on his breathing and heart rate but you need to wait until they can tell you more. Its going to be a worrying time for you.

Best wishes

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I wanted to say thank you.