CorpsmanUp
CorpsmanUp, Former U.S.Navy, Hospital Corpsman
Experience:  Over 4 years of providing direct, clinical medical care.

I have a hole in between my pinky toe and the

I have a "hole" in between my pinky toe and the fourth toe. It makes my entire pinky toe sore to the touch, and I think that I have had it for about a week. I looked up plantars warts online, but it doesn't really look like that (I have photos if need be). The skin in very clean and pink, and the edge of the "hole" is a little white. There is no puss or blood, but there is a little bit of a an odor. I am out of town on business and cannot see my doctor. What should I do?
Category: Health
Expert:  CorpsmanUp replied 7 years ago.
Yes it would be helpful if you could send the pictures toXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

This will help me to give you the best answer. I will wait for your reply.

Also, have you injured this area or recieved any trauma to the area at all?

Is the area hot to the touch?

Has the pinkness spread?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to CorpsmanUp's Post: I sent you the pictures. Let me know if that helps
I have recieved the pictures but I have a few more questions.

Has the pinkness spread?

Does the area itch?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to CorpsmanUp's Post: No the pinkness has not spread and it doesn't itch.
Ok. After staring at your toe for this long, the only suggestive name for this condition is Intertrigo. This is an inflammation that happens in the folds of the skin. It is commonly seen under the breasts, under the abdomen, and armpits, but can also occur between the toes as well. It is mostly fungal. Since you do have pain to your entire pinky, and there is an odor, I wouldn't wait more than 1 more week before seeing a doctor.

Here is the reason for that statement. I see no infection in your pictures, however that doesn't mean that bacteria can't get inside and cause one....

Here are some things that you can do at home:

Go to a drug store and ask for Triple Paste. It contains Zinc Oxide and Petroleum. This paste will help keep the process contained and will reduce any friction between the toes. Apply this once or two times a day and place a piece of cotton between the toes.

Do not apply this at night and keep your feet open to the air at night. This will aid the healing process.

If you notice any spreading redness, increased pain, or if your symptoms worsen, you need to see a doctor. If they aren't gone by one more week, you need to see your doctor either way. If this answer helps please hit the accept button. Thank you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX agree that it is not a plantars wart? I really don't think that's what it looks like, but I wanted the opinion of a doctor since I have never seen a REAL plantars wart, only images online.
Yes I would absolutely agree that this is not a plantars wart. Plantar warts are caused by a virus and usually occur on the bottom of the foot.
Experience: Over 4 years of providing direct, clinical medical care.