Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

I had a Thyroid test done and it was 1.34 so my doctor up ...

I had a Thyroid test done and it was 1.34 so my doctor up my meds, trying to get it to 1.5-2.00. Instead it went to .10. what does that mean?
Category: Health
Expert:  Family Physician replied 9 years ago.
Was this thyroid test a T4 level or a TSH?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.

TSH (Thyroid stimulating hormone) levels run opposite of thyroid hormone levels (T4)

When your thyroid hormone level is LOW (hypothyroidism) your TSH is elevated (biologic message to the thyroid gland to produce/release more thyroid hormone). When your T4 is elevated (hyperthyroidism) your TSH is suppressed to below normal levels.

The TSH of 1.34 was normal - and I would NOT have made any change to your T4. When it was increased, the TSH now indicates too high of a dose.

The physicians plan to increase your dose to increase your "thyroid test" from 1.34 to 1.5-2.0 (still very much in the normal range) - seems to have been based on confusion (which many patients, and a few physicians will succumb to). He may have been thinking of T4 levels in which the dose needs to be increased to increase the test results.

In my humble opinion - your doctor was wrong to increase your dose. I believe that your previous dose was more appropriate for you.