Gloria K
Gloria K, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  RN, pediatrics, geriatrics, acute care
2504518

I HAVE A BLACK Diarrhea. WHAT DOES THAT MEAN

i fill like i cary some thing in my stomac it has got sound in it and when go to the bath room it very watery and black stool with a bad oder came out. i went to the hospital they just had an i v. and that is it and it took peppto over the counter but didn work. shall i got the dr?
Category: Health
Expert:  Gloria K replied 7 years ago.
Hi Fassil, thanks for using Just Answer for your question. My name's XXXXX XXXXX I'm online now to help.

1. Did they check for blood or infection in the stool when you went to the hospital ( did they take a stool sample from you?)

2. Any other symptoms, like vomiting, cramping, fever,?

3. Do you have any medical conditions or are you taking any medications?

4. How long have you been having this symptom?

Write me back with your answers, I'd be glad to help. Thanks, Gloria
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Gloria K's Post: thank you Gloria!

1-no they didn't check my stool. but, they
simlly say that this is a stoamck flu & had me an iv and i fill better for the time being and came home.

2- yes i had vomiting first but not now. carmping yes even now sometims. but no fever.

3- no i don't have any medical condition. and i'm not taking any medication.

4- i had this symptoms for four days now.
Expert:  Gloria K replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your quick response,

Are you able to eat and drink enough now?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Gloria K's Post: i just have my breakfast now i don't know how long it will stay. i mean since last night and earlly this mornning i had wattery Diarrhea. i jaut have a cup of tee and tost of hole weat bread i fiil a liitel bit confrteble now comparing yesterday.
Expert:  Gloria K replied 7 years ago.
You should see your doctor now, because as you may already know, diarrhea is very dehydrating.
Your doctor can give you medications that can help stop the diarrhea and cramping.

Sometimes using bismuth medications like Pepto, can cause black diarrhea. But you should have your stool checked for blood and infection just in case. If your doctor cannot see you now, go back to the ER and demand a stool sample. Also, ask for medications to stop the diarrhea and cramping, so that you can feel better.

If you have any other questions, please continue to ask- that's what I'm here for! Otherwise, if you are satisfied with this answer, and if I have helped you, please hit the accept button and leave positive feedback. Thanks, Gloria

Information contained herein is not intended for the diagnosis or treatment of medical conditions and is not a substitute for professional medical care. All information is general advice and opinions and is not official medical/nursing advice, health teaching, health information, or health counseling. Information provided should not be used during emergency situation- call 911 for all medical emergencies.
Gloria K, Nurse (RN)
Experience: RN, pediatrics, geriatrics, acute care