Doctor Nash
Doctor Nash, Professor of Medicine (MD)
Experience:  I've been teaching and practicing medicine for more than 40 years.

If you had your voice box crushed in an accident and you ...

If you had your voice box crushed in an accident and you are no longer able to talk. Is it still possible for you to make sounds of pleasure and pain? ie; moan, scream, ect..
Category: Health
Expert:  Doctor Nash replied 9 years ago.
Is the larynx in place or has it been removed?

Does the patient have a tracheostomy?

I am sending this as an Information Request. This is not an answer. You are able to see it without paying. Do not pay for it. Pay only for final answers.

Dr. Nash
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Doctor Nash's Post: I am sorry I have no idea. Anything you can tell me on this subject will help even if i cannot provide you with more information.
In general, if the larynx is totally absent, the patient will have a tracheostomy, and will not be able to make audible sounds.

After total laryngectomy and removal of the tracheostomy, it is possible to regain a sort of speech generated by a belching process.

If the larynx is crushed but in place, the ability to make sounds will depend upon the positions of the vocal cords among other variables.

If you find more information, please let me know, and I may be ablle to be more specific.

Dr. Nash