vanislandwitch
vanislandwitch, Natural Practitioner
Experience:  Over 10 years as a Natural and Holistic Practitioner
2852189

Why after not throwing up for the flu for 24 hours has my ...

Why after not throwing up for the flu for 24 hours has my child started again?
Category: Health
Expert:  vanislandwitch replied 7 years ago.

Hello There,

Thank you for coming to Just Answer with your child's health question. I have three children myself and understand your concern. It's typical for a child with the flu to be sick for three to four days, seem better for a day or two, and then get sick for another few days.Be on your guard against misleading morning temperatures. Body tem-perature tends to be lower in the morning. So a child who registers 99° after breakfast may have a fever of 102° in the afternoon. Your child should maintain a normal temperature for 24 hours before you let them go back to school.

Compared to a cold, the flu can bring major league misery to your child. Influenza--the medical name for the flu--is caused by a virus, just like the common cold. And many of the symptoms are similar--cough, runny nose, sore throat and fever. But if your child has the flu, she'll be much, much sicker.

There are three different influenza viruses--types A, B and C--but which-ever strain your child catches, she's in for a rough time. A fever will zap them on day one and may last for an entire week. Along with the upper respiratory symptoms, they'll have chills and shakes, a ''wiped-out'' feeling, muscle aches and pains and reddened eyes. Some kids, especially infants, also have vomiting or diarrhea.

Ear infection, sinusitis or pneumonia may follow in the wake of influenza, but these secondary infections can be treated with antibiotics. Unfortunately, the flu cannot be stopped this way. (Antibiotics are useless against viruses.) Prescription anti-viral medications such as amantadine have been found helpful in shortening the duration of Influenza A, but their use is limited. To be effective, they must be given within 20 hours after the flu symptoms appear.

In most cases, all you can do for your flu-stricken child is to try and make life a little more bearable. You won't be able to take away all their symptoms, but you can alleviate some of them. Here's how.

Treat the fever, but only if it's high. If your child is really miserable because of aches and fever, acetaminophen (Children's Tylenol) is the treat-ment of choice. Check the package directions for the correct dose for your child's age and weight.

Raise the humidity. A cool-mist vaporizer placed near your child's bed can help make nasal secretions more free-flowing so your child breathes more comfortably,

Quiet those coughs in the night. If your child's cough is harsh and bothersome, give a nonprescription cough syrup containing dextromethorphan, a cough suppressant.

Replenish lost fluids. Kids tend to lose a lot of fluid with a fever, and even more if there is vomiting. So you should push fluids by offering your child a choice of things to drink. We adults tend to offer things that make us feel better. But what seems good to you may not appeal to your child. Children's taste buds are more sensitive than ours. So when they are ill, they tend to want really bland things without a lot of flavor or odor.

Serve some light bites. Your child won't have much of an appetite, but it is important to keep his blood sugar level up so that he'll have less tired-ness, vomiting, headache and fussiness. Think in terms of small carbohydrate snacks: miniature marshmallows, crackers, dry toast, plain bread. The snacks should be fat-free so that they're easily digested.

Give extra TLC. When their feeling bad, your child will appreciate having some special attention from you.Sit down and play a quiet game together, read a book, sing or cuddle your child if they find it comforting.

I hope your child gets well soon.

Best of Luck!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to vanislandwitch's Post: Here is waht happen
She throw up evcerything for 24 hours than for the next 24 hour she was able to keep food down then the next she throw up twice in the middle of the night and then was fine. Why did she get sick again

Hello Again,

What your daughter displayed is quite normal for intestinal parasites such as the flu, the parasites mutate from host to host. The flu bug was clearly not all out of your daughter at the time she ate. When a child has the flu it is best just to allow your child small eats such as crackers and dry toast and fruits and veggies,if they are able to hold that down for a 24 hour time period,then is the time to increase foods and offer such things as potato's without butter, veggies,and meats without alot of sauces and dried cereals.

For now I recommend your just stick with offering food items such as crackers,popcicles,plain chips,dry toast,flat pop,cranberry juice,and plenty of Nature's Juice (water). If you daughter is able to keep these items down for 24 hours then offer her some of the other food groups. Wink

Best of luck.

vanislandwitch, Natural Practitioner
Experience: Over 10 years as a Natural and Holistic Practitioner