vanislandwitch, Natural Practitioner
Experience:  Over 10 years as a Natural and Holistic Practitioner

can allergy problems cause the loss of your voice for a

I lost my voice from Nov. of 05 to Feb. of 06 and now I have lost it again. I went to a speech therapist last time and she couldn't give me any answers as to why it "left" and what made it come back. I have had a few people tell me that allergies could be causing the loss of my voice so I made an appointment with a specialist. Am I wasting my money going to this Doctor?

Hello There,

Thank you for coming to Just Answer with your health question. Allergies are one possibility why you are lossing your voice. Please read the information I have provided below,then print it off and report back to your doctor for more testing.

Alternative Names:
Voice strain; Dysphonia; Loss of voice or Hoarseness is usually caused by a problem in the vocal cords. Most cases of hoarseness are associated with inflammation of the larynx (laryngitis).

Persistent hoarseness (hoarseness that lingers for weeks or months) may be caused by a variety of problems ranging from trivial to dangerous.

Common Causes:
Irritation from: Excessive use of the voice (as in shouting or singing)
Inhaling irritating substances
Excessive use of alcohol or tobacco
Coughing (may be caused by allergies or some diseases such as bronchitis)
In children, prolonged or excessive crying
Viral illness
Gastric reflux (acid from the stomach irritating the voice box)

Other causes include:
Heavy smoking and drinking, especially in combination
Overall weakness caused by other diseases
Ingestion of a caustic liquid
Foreign body in the esophagus or trachea (see foreign object aspiration or ingestion)
Infectious mononucleosis
Postnasal drip
Vocal cord nodules or paralysis (post-surgical)
Bronchoscopy or other tests (temporary)
Cancer of the voice box (laryngeal cancer)

Home Care:
Hoarseness may be acute or chronic, but is treated the same in most cases.

Rest and time are really the only way to cure hoarseness that is not associated with other symptoms. This kind of hoarseness is very resistant to medical therapy. Crying, shouting, and excessive talking or singing will only worsen the problem. Be patient, the healing process may take several days. Don't talk unless it is absolutely necessary and avoid whispering. Whispering can strain the vocal cords more than speaking does.

Gargling has no therapeutic effect on the vocal cords. Avoid decongestants because they dry the vocal cords and prolong irritation. If you smoke, reduce or stop smoking.

Humidifying the air with a vaporizer or drinking fluids can offer some relief.

Other underlying disorders such as bronchitis, allergies, laryngitis, or alcoholism should be treated.

Call your health care provider if:
There is difficulty in breathing or swallowing.
Hoarseness is accompanied by drooling, especially in a small child.
Hoarseness is present in a child less than 3 months old.
Hoarseness has lasted for more than 1 week in a child, or 2 weeks in an adult.
What to expect at your health care provider's office:
If there is severe difficulty breathing, the first priority is to ensure normal breathing. This may require the placement of a breathing tube. Once the condition is stable, the medical history will be obtained and a physical examination performed.

Medical history questions documenting hoarseness or changed voice in detail may include:
Is your voice hoarse?
Did you lose your voice completely?
Is the voice weak?
Does it sound breathy, scratchy, or husky?

Time pattern
Does the voice change refuse to go away completely (persistent)?
Does the voice change occur repeatedly (recurrent)?
Has the condition worsened gradually over time?
Is it continuous (does not change intensity over time)?
At what age did the voice change begin?
How long has this symptom been present?

Aggravating factors
Have you been shouting, singing, or otherwise overusing your voice?
Has there been an exposure to irritating fumes?
Has there been ingestion of a caustic liquid?
Has there been a foreign object aspiration or ingestion?
Do you use alcohol?
Do you smoke?
Do you have a history of allergies?
If an infant or child, has there been prolonged crying?
Has there been a recent surgery or procedure on the mouth or throat?

What other symptoms are present?
Is there a fever?
Is there malaise?
Is there coughing?
Is there weakness?
Is there a sore throat?
Is there fatigue?
Is there postnasal drip?
The physical examination will include a detailed examination of the mouth and throat.

Diagnostic tests that may be performed include:

Blood tests such as CBC or blood differential
Throat examination with small mirror
X-rays of the neck
Laryngoscopy (visualization of the larynx with a laryngoscope)
Throat culture

Thickened cords, polyps, and benign nodules can all be treated surgically or with a laser. Cancers are sometimes completely cured by either surgery, radiation, or both. Vocal cords that are accidentally damaged while administering anesthesia or during surgery can often be repaired.

Other conditions may benefit from voice rest and speech therapy. Reflux laryngitis is treated with anti-reflux measures (avoid spicy and fried food, reduce coffee intake) and antacids.

Stopping smoking helps in early recovery from laryngitis and other conditions causing hoarseness.

After seeing your health care provider:

If a diagnosis was made by your health care provider related to hoarseness or changed voice, you may want to note that diagnosis in your personal medical record.

Here are some websites you will find helpful.

MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia: Hoarseness or changing voiceVoice strain; Dysphonia; Loss of voice. Definition Return to top ... Most cases of hoarseness are associated with inflammation of the larynx (laryngitis). ... - 26k

CFV - Laryngitis from Reflux: Prevention for the Performing SingerRecurring voice impairment from allergy is almost always associated with other ... loss of voice quality with voice use, a feeling of irritation, ...

Best of Luck and have a great New Year !

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Back in Nov. when I lost my voice I went to an ears/nose/throat doctor and he in turn removed my tonsils. When my voice did not return, that is when he sent me to the speech therapist. She used the scope and checked my vocal cords and said that everything looked clear and in good shape. I was without my voice for almost 4 months last time, I am to the point I will try anything to find out why.

Hello Again,

You went to an eye/ear/nose/throat doctor , had tonsils removed, the problem was not solved. You went to a speech therapist, everything looked alright....So that leaves the possibility of an allergen in your home causing the problem for you,and you need to investigate. It could be caused by the way you heat your home,common indoor allergens include mold, household dust, dust mite allergen, cockroach allergen, and pet dander.You can get tested for all of these by an Allergist with a simple 'scratch test' . If it's not an allergy causing the loss of your voice you can also see your doctor about the possibility of it being Gastric reflux (acid from the stomach irritating the voice box). He can give you some medications to try. All in all you have some diffrent options to look into. Talk with your doctor, have him direct you to an Allergist and talk about the possibility of Gastric Reflux being the culprit.

Have a great New Year!