Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.

Customer Question

Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 9 years ago.

If you have swelling of legs and feet then you need to have a check by your doctor.

There are a variety of reasons for swollen ankles and feet including high blood pressure, cardiovascular problems, circulation problem, kidney problem and something putting pressure on a major vein (the Inferior vena cava)

Transient swelling could be related to prolonged immobility causing calf muscles failing to pump fluid back into the circulation. Other causes include varicose veins, side-effects of some drugs and being overweight.

A mild diuretic would be the first action, together with compression hosiery.

Keep your legs elevated at a high angle when you can to encourage drainage and if you have a sedentary job ensure that you get up and move around every hour.

Avoid caffeine drinks, but do continue to drink water. Reduce your salt intake too.

Hepatitis C can cause swollen legs and feet although I would also expect you to have fluid on your abdomen too (ascites) and it can be a sign that the liver is not coping too well with the virus so I would also expect other signs such as jaundice.

Does this answer your question?