DoctorL
DoctorL, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Degree
2504745

very sharp pain in my left lower leg area, front shin ...

very sharp pain in my left lower leg area, front shin area. feels like it's in the bone. pain is very sharp. It's been happening a few weeks now not everyday, it happened while lying down or just sitting around. the pain varies in time it comes on bad and fast and lets down a little and then comes back, it doesn't last to long. only happenes once or two times a day if it does.

thank brian
Category: Health
Expert:  DoctorL replied 10 years ago.
Hi

The pain you are experiencing usually occurs when you excercise or are more active than usual. The pain may be due to several different conditions such as Tibial shin splint or Tibial periostitis. These conditions are not serious and do resolve o their own and without any problems.
A few things you may try are rest, an ice compress in the area you feel pain, you may also try an over the counter pian killer such as Advil or Tylenol.
If the pain gets worst, or doesnt go away in about a month it may be a good idea to see your physician for further evaluation.
I think you may find the following website helpful:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003177.htm

Happy New Year....

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions don’t hesitate to ask.
Customer/p>

Please leave Positive feedback...

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply toCustomers Post: I don't think it's shin splint. I know what shin splints feel like I ran alot in the past. this pain it sharper and different from shin splints. it happened several times while just sitting around doing nothing.
Expert:  DoctorL replied 10 years ago.
Hi

A few other causes would be Tibial Periostitis, in which the injury occurs in the muscle attachment. Another cause may be a stress fracture, but this is most likely to occur on athletes that are very involved in their training. The best thing you can do for now is rest and if the pain is bothersome you may try an ice pack or Tylenol. As I previosly mentioned if the pain persist or gets worst it is best to see your physician.

Customer/p>

Please leave Positive feedback...

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
what kind of doctor should I go to, should I go to the doctor who did my knee surgery. Just 2 let you know pain is not on the leg with bad knee. Also I was a big athlete befor my knee surgery last year, Football 15 years up to college level, track, baseball, tennis, a little basketball. I'm very concerned about this pain, it is very odd. hard to explain and the real puzzling thing it happenes while I am just sitting around and even sleeping.
Expert:  DoctorL replied 10 years ago.
Hi

The pain is mosy lkely muscular and its nothing to be concered about, you will be just fine. If resting anf the tylenol doesnt help you may see your Primary care Physician. He/she will be able to further asses the situation and decide if you would need to see a specialist. But as I previosly said this is nothing serious.

Customer/p>

Please leave Positive feedback...