Doctor Nash
Doctor Nash, Professor of Medicine (MD)
Experience:  I've been teaching and practicing medicine for more than 40 years.
1330686

How long should a child go without eating

Customer Question

My child is 2 years old and has been really sick. She's on an antibiotic but the sickness has caused her to get sores all over the inside of her mouth. B/c of this she hasn't ate in 5 days (or very very little..I'm talking 1/4 cup of mac-n-cheese is all). She's drinking, just not eating. Is this okay? How much longer do I let this go one? And what can even be done? She won't let us put the numbing stuff in her mouth, she is 2 and that's just not happening.
Category: Health
Expert:  Doctor Nash replied 9 years ago.
Don't worry about food. Just make certain she does not get dehydrated. As long as she's drinking and passing urine, it's okay. Keep her temperature below 101.

Try Gatorade or Pedialyte, in fact anything that tastes good and provides fluid, mineral, and calories. Let her have anything she wants. Jell-O, popsicles, frozen yogurt.

Make sure this does not wear you out. Relax and be patient.

Dr. Nash