Doctor_Shiv(M.D)
Doctor_Shiv(M.D), MD
Experience:  Experienced Physician Specialising in Medicine,Gynae,ER
2559292

Why am I having multiple periods a month

For about three months I've been experiencing two menstrual cycles per month whereas prior to this my periods were always very regular - every 28 days.
Category: Health
Expert:  Doctor_Shiv(M.D) replied 10 years ago.

Are you using any contraceptive devices?

For how many days did bleeding occur in month.Does the bleeding is heavy both time?

Have you any previous medical history?

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
No, I'm not using any contraceptive devices or medicine. (I'm not sexually active.) I'm not taking any medicine at all. My periods are normal (five days, slow start to heavy bleeding to light end) - just twice in a month instead of once. I don't have any previous medical history except for some lower back problems which began in May. (Menstrual change began in October.)

Do you bleed for 5 days for second time in month?

Or it is just spotting as compare to first one?

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Both periods are complete 5 day "normal" periods. It is not just spotting. It is full flow.

Thanks for reply.

First cause for bleeding twice a month is -Hormonal imbalance.

Thyroid dysfunction may also be a factor.

Another reasons for twice-a-month periods is abnormal thickening of the uterine lining. This thickening can be due to hormonal imbalance

Polyps or fibroids in uterine cavity are also the reason.

Blood tests are needed to evaluate the cause.

In my opinion you need a Pelvic examination to assess the condition of the cervix and investigations like TVS Ultrasound for further evaluation

So my advice is to take appointment from Gynaecologist soon

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Doctor_Shiv(M.D)'s Post: What kind of things can cause a "hormonal imbalance?" What does that mean?

Hormonal imbalance means Ovulatory disturbances .

These are of two main types: low hypothalamic/pituitary stimulation, called "hypothalamic" or high pituitary stimulation called "anovulatory androgen excess."

Hypothalamic ovulatory disturbances are caused by physical or psychological stress .

You you need a Pelvic examination to assess the condition of the cervix and investigations like TVS Ultrasound for further evaluation