CorpsmanUp, Former U.S.Navy, Hospital Corpsman
Experience:  Over 4 years of providing direct, clinical medical care.

Area around my anus is red and sore. It is also itchy. Why?

The area around my anus is red and sore (no this isn't a joke). It feels itchy and a little swollen. The redness and itchiness reaches out about 2 inches in all directions from the hole. I have had no trauma to the area and NO! I have not had anal sex or anything like that. Has been like this for about 5 days now. I shower daily and clean the area thoroughly after going to the bathroom. What is the deal?

Category: Health
Expert:  CorpsmanUp replied 9 years ago.

Have your symptoms gotten better with the Septra?
Is the area hot to the touch?
Has the redness spread?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.

It is hot and doesn't seem to be getting worse or spreading. Itch and kind of sore. Septra hasn't seemed to make a difference. 1 pill twice a day and this was actually the third day.

There are several possibilities on what could be causing your symptoms. A fungal or bacterial infection, or a skin reaction are likely.
I would try an anti-itch cream first, just to get some symptomatic relief. You do however need to see a doctor for proper diagnosis. I can't possibly make an accurate assumption without tests or seeing the area. You may need antibiotics to treat this. Septra is good but it should only be used to specific conditions.
If the Septra is old or outdated, throw it away. You could do more harm than good.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.

You want a picture? email address? No I'm not a fruitcake. I'm obviously trying to avoid the doctor as this will be a pretty unpleasant visit as you can imagine.

Alright. I'll take the picture.
I'm used to seeing the worst cases of most conditions so this will not bother me at all. Keep the photo well lighted. I will need to see the redness borders, etc.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.

Ok you got it, its been sent.

Alright. Thank you for sending it to me. I will delete the picture immediately.
I see what looks to be slightly spreading redness and what concerns me is what appears to be dry, flaky skin. With the itching, this would mean that you possibly have a fungal infection, yeast infection. I would try Lamisil or Monistat another anti-fungal cream for at least 4 days. Keep the area extremely dry in between applications and keep it open to the air at night. Wash all dirty clothes and don't wear the same underclothes twice.
Try the cream for 4 days and if you see no results, you must see a doctor. Keep note to see if the redness spreads at all.
If you still have symptoms after 4 days of anti-fungal treatment, the next consideration is that you have a bacterial infection. Either way, if it isn't gone or going away by 4 days, you must see a doctor.