Don, Health care
Experience:  health care information in print for you

To remove lice nits, I have considered Goo Gone.

To remove lice nits, I have considered Goo Gone. I have thought about how by holding the hair away from my childs scalp, dip my fingers in the Goo Gone and run those finger along the hair with the nits in it. so there is no skin contact with my childs head. Would this work?

Hello friend, Thankyou for your question.

I really do understand how this can be an ongoing situation if not treated correctly.

Only one of our children ever came home with lice over the years and you might know it would be the child whose head had the most hair (waist length)! I remember we combed her hair for literally hours taking one strand at a time .She simply would not hear of having her cut to make the job a little easier.

Goo Gone is a strong enough cleaner that it can remove the adhesive from carpet backing!

This tells me that it's a chemical that does not belong on a child's head.Ever.

Lice nits respond to medication which is sold reasonably at Walmart or other stores. Health Departments also gladly help families with medication (especially in large populated areas))

Using the correct medication and the lice comb are the ways to be sure the nits are gone.

To be sure they stay gone,follow up with another application in the timeline the box says for best results.

You also need to treat the home and here's a website with more information on home care and treatment product.

Please let me know if you have any questions? I'll be happy to help.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Don's Post: I have researched Goo Gone and it is citris based product. It is actually and orange based product. It does not cause problems with the skin, respiratory or the eyes. Only that you should not ingest it. I got this information from the company itself. I was inquiring if the product would affect the glue that holds the nits to the hair. I don't plan on having Goo Gone touch my child head at all just in case anyway. It is recommended as a solution for gum and tree sap in hair.
I appologize for not being clearer originally.

DearCustomer thankyou for your explanation.

I understand you don't plan on the Goo Gone on the scalp itself.

In this kind of situation if the bottle does not say it's harmless and it's ok to use on a human I would call the company if I wanted to use it on a child.

They may also tell you whether or not the product does take care of the glue issue with the nits.

I fully suspect it does an excellent job considering the testimonials at the website below of Homax.

Here's their website (GooGone is made/handled through Homax) and there's a phone number,address and email you can ask if it is 100% safe for your child.

I tried to find an MSDS sheet at the website but they don't list that one for some reason.

It was found at National Institutes of Health.It is not just "citrus."(see botXXXXX XXXXXsting in MSDS info)

The product below described how it first dissolves the glue of the nits.You may want to check this out:

Please let me know if I can be of any more help?

P.S. As always even if it looks like a "go" on this product do remember to test it one day on your child in a small strand of hair and give it time to be sure it doesn't cause her to break out or have a reaction.