Deborah
Deborah, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Registered NP - Multispeciality

My husband had a vasectomy 2 hours ago. I would call the ...

My husband had a vasectomy 2 hours ago. I would call the clinic about this issue but they are closed and I can't find a number for 24 hour questions. He tried to get up from the couch, found it hurt badly and sat back down. He was sitting on the couch as I brought him an ice pack, and a moment later it was almost as if he had a seizure. His eyes were rolling around his head, he started jerking his arms and he made some snorting sounds. He looked pale, then turned bright red for a few seconds, then very pale/gray as he came out of it (total time about 30 seconds). He then said "That was weird," and said it felt a bit like the time he did nitrous as a youth. He was not responding to my voice during the episode but says that he heard me and I sounded far off like down a tunnel. He says he feels better now, although he's still in pain. He doesn't want me to call 911. All he's taken is some codeine. He hadn't eaten in about 10hrs. What happened and how concerned we should be? Thank you!
Category: Health
Expert:  Deborah replied 7 years ago.

What type of anesthesia did he have? Local or IV sedation?

I would take him to the ER to be checked as a precaution. It would be in his best interest to be checked by a doctor to assure he is ok.

He may have had a reaction to medication, a cardiac event or it could have been a result of him not eating, but in view of the fact he did have this minor surgery today it is best to be checked.

It may be that the ten hours without eating or drinking, combined with the stress of the surgery made him a bit faint.

What stands to reason is that he may have experienced what is known as a vasovagal reaction which is a reflex of the involuntary nervous system that causes the heart to slow down and that, at the same time, affects the nerves to the blood vessels in the legs permitting those vessels to dilate. As a result the heart puts out less blood, the blood pressure drops, and what blood is circulating tends to go into the legs rather than to the head. The brain is deprived of oxygen and the fainting episode occurs. The vasovagal reaction is also called a vasovagal attack. In your husbands case, he could have been on the verge of fainting, but didn't quite do so.
Deborah, Nurse (RN)
Experience: Registered NP - Multispeciality
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX advice is very reassuring!