Gloria K
Gloria K, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  RN, pediatrics, geriatrics, acute care
2504518

I FEEL DIZZY WHEN I LAY DOWN AND WHEN I STAND UP OUT OF BED

dizziness last for about 2 minutes.
Category: Health
Expert:  Gloria K replied 10 years ago.
Hi kathleen, thanks for using Just Answer for your question. My name's XXXXX XXXXX I'm online now to help.

1. Do you have any other symptoms?

2. Can you tell me about your medical history (ie: any conditions, diseases, etc?)

3. Are you on any medications?

4. Any other symptoms with this dizziness, such as headache, vomiting, nausea, fever, etc?

5. Do you have diabetes or high blood pressure?

Write me back with your answers. I'm online now.

Thanks, Gloria
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
I HAVE NO OTHER SYMPTOMS. IM NOT ON ANY MEDICATIONS AND DO NOT HAVE ANY HEALTH ISSUES. THIS HAS ONLY BEEN HAPPENING FOR A FEW DAYS. I FEEL FINE OTHER THEN THE DIZZINESS WHEN I LAY DOWN AND STAND UP AFTER LAYING. IT ONLY LASTS A FEW MINUTES.
Expert:  Gloria K replied 10 years ago.
It's possible that you are having something known as orthostatic hypotension. This is when your blood pressure drops suddenly, and you feel dizzy. This usually happens after someone has been lying down for a little while, and when they go to stand up suddenly, their blood pressure drops and they feel dizzy. After sitting up for awhile, they start to feel better as their blood pressure returns to normal.

Another possibility is inflamed sinuses or allergies.

Do any of these sound like a possibility?

Do you have a blood pressure monitor at home?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
IT COULD BE ALLERGIES. I DO NOT HAVE A BLOOD PRESSURE MONITOR. MAYBE I WILL INVEST IN ONE. HEART PROBLEMS DO RUN ON MY MOMS SIDE OF THE FAMILY AND IM AM GETTING OLDER. THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME
Expert:  Gloria K replied 10 years ago.
You're welcome! Glad I could help.

I recommend that you see your doctor about this, as this is a new symptom for you. Give him/her a call and let him/her know what's going on.

Allergies and sinus problems can cause dizziness as well. Only your doctor can determine the cause.

Until you can see your doctor, avoid sudden position changes. When you get up, slowly sit up in bed. Stay seated for awhile, and then slowly swing your legs over the side of the bed. Stay sitting for a few moments, and then slowly stand up. This should help with the dizziness. Ask your doctor to have your blood pressure and blood sugar levels checked also.

Here's some more information about dizziness:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003093.htm

http://www.webmd.com/hw/health_guide_atoz/sto167548.asp

If you have any other questions, please continue to ask- that's what I'm here for! Otherwise, if you are satisfied with this answer, and if I have helped you, please hit the accept button and leave positive feedback. Thanks,Gloria

Information contained herein is not intended for the diagnosis or treatment of medical conditions and is not a substitute for professional medical care. All information is general advice and opinions and is not official medical/nursing advice, health teaching, or health counseling. Information provided should not be used during any emergency situation- call 911 for all medical emergencies.