Donna RN
Donna RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  RN 13 years, Women's health, L&D, newborn/NICU, mom/baby, home health, pediatrics, breastfeeding
3004962

I have boils on my clitoris and around my vagina, what

Customer Question

I have boils on my clitoris and around my vagina, what can i use as treatment (it is not itching,but it is very painful) this has been happening about 2 days now
Category: Health
Expert:  Donna RN replied 10 years ago.

HI!! I would need just a bit more information to be as helpful as possible:

Are you sexually active? If so, have you had unprotected intercourse in the last few months? New partners?

Has this ever occurred before?

When you say "boils", do you mean large bumps? Or small bumps or maybe small open sores?

I have an idea about what it may be, but this information would help me rule out some ohter causes...please get back to me with this information so I may help you!! Donna RN

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Donna RN's Post: I am sexually active, but with the same partner (he DOes not sleep around) neither do i,this has never happened before.

It looks like boils (they are not many )but it is so painful (i changed the brand of pantyliners) also I had shaved last week with a disposable blade i had used before - i dont know whether any of those cause it (there is no itching, nor smell just pain.
Expert:  Donna RN replied 10 years ago.

Well, it is difficult to know without actually "seeing" the "boils", but, I can make a few suggestions....and these are just that - suggestions. I do not mean to imply anything at all, just based on what you are telling me and my education and experience: I doubt that this is any type of reaction to a new pantyliner....

1) These "boils" or bumps COULD be from shaving the bikini/vaginal area, known as shaving bumps. If you regularly shave the area, however, I doubt that this would happen just this time. If these ARE "razor bumps", you should get some relief from applying warm compresses and cortisone cream to the EXTERNAL areas only. The one thing that you stated that makes me think this is NOT it is that you state that there are "boils" ON your clitoris. Though hair does tend to grow into the top of the crease of the labia minora (smaller "lips), no hair grows ON the clitoris or immediate surrounding area, nor does hair grow around the inner area near the vagina. If these are razor bumps, you should only have them where the hair grows. If you are unble to tolerate warm compresses to the area, possibility #2 is even more possible.

2) The most likely cause, and I know this is probably not what you want to hear....but, it sounds a LOT like herpes. Men, especially, can have herpes for years and not even know it. It would only be passed to you if he had an active lesion at a time when you had intercourse. Because these lesions can actually be INSIDE the urethra (inside the penis) you (or him for that matter) may never see them. Boils, bumps or open sores of varying size from this capital -O- to eraser-size, in the vaginal area (the areas that DO NOT grow hair, that are very painful, are the hallmark symptoms of Herpes, or HSV II, genital herpes. He does NOT have to have been unfaithful to you. He could have contracted this from anyone with whom he has ever had unprotected intercourse at any time in his life. Most men only become diagnosed because the woman in his life has a primary outbreak. Herpes lesions will spontaneously resolve in 7-10 days, but if they are many and very painful, a doctor can prescribe lidocaine gel or cream for the pain and Valtrex to speed the healing of the outbreak. Some women only ever have one outbreak. Others have frequent outbreaks that require prophylactic (preventative) treatment with Valtrex taken every day.

Keep in mind, I am only making this conclusion based on what you have told me so far. I highly recommend a visit to your GYN doctor in the next few days as this is the best way to know if this is indeed a primary outbreak of herpes. Please feel free to contact me if you would like more information!! Donna RN