nurse_Dan
nurse_Dan, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Registered Nurse, Certified in Advanced Cardiac Life Support, Pediatric Advanced Live Support.
2498059

What is infiltrate in the lungs?

An infiltrate is a spot of the lung that means you have pneumonia. It is what we look for on a chest x-ray when looking for pneumonia.

So yes if they saw an infiltrate you have pneumonia and should be treated with antibiotics.

The biggest antibiotic being used these days seems to been avelox. If is very effective against most of the bacteria that cause pneumonia.

Other antibiotics used include zithromax, ceftin, augmentin, amoxicillin, levaquin, and rochephin. Any one of these would certainly be appropriate to treat your pneumonia.

Most pneumonia is community acquired pneumonia. You can look this up on the internet. It’s basically pneumonia in the community. This is basically pneumonia acquired outside of the hospital.

http://www.clevelandclinicmeded.com/diseasemanagement/infectiousdisease/communitypneumonia/communitypneumonia.htm

http://www.cincinnatichildrens.org/health/info/chest/diagnose/pneumonia.htm

Read full interaction below »

I seem to have pneumonia. I had my chest x-rayed and was told that I was showing infiltrate in my lungs/chest. What exactly is infiltrate? What is it's normal source, duration, and risks to one's health? Is it normally cured with an anti-biotic or naturally? Is there an anti-biotic recommended more than any other?

Category: Health

These websites will further help you understand this.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.

My first and primary question concerned the infiltrate in my lungs which I had already been told amounted to pneumonia. I was looking for something more informative from you. I do not think that I should have to spell out every sequential question, but what is infiltrate: fluid or some other matter, fluid with bacteria, bacteria alone? What is the source of infiltrate? Is it a body excretion or what? What is its source or primary sources? What triggers or initiates the existence or migration of infiltrate?

An infiltrate is the pneumonia in the lung. It represents pus, blood, water, or tissue is filling alveolar spaces. These 4 causes of the infiltrate will have the bacterial in them.

The source of the infiltrate is usually community acquired. This is why I gave you the information about community acquired pneumonia. Community acquired pneumonia is the cause of the infiltrate. It is not a bodily excretion. It is something we pick up in the community, hospital or nursing home.

It is impossible to tell the exact cause of the infiltrate based on the x-ray alone. You would need a blood culture or sputum culture to find the exact pathogen causing your pneumonia.

I will tell you that 85 percent of pneumonias found in the community are caused by Streptococcus pneumoniae. But if you caught pneumonia from a hospital or nursing home there is a much larger possibility the pneumonia is caused by a different pathogen. You have an even larger group of pathogens to try to rule out when acquired in the ICU.

Other causes of infiltrates are H. influenza, Mycoplasma pneumonia, Pseudomonas pneumonia, Haemophilus influenzae, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Staphylococcus aureus, Legionella pneumophila, these are the typical causes of the infiltrate. Most antibiotics marketed to treat pneumonia will kill these bacteria.