nurse_Dan
nurse_Dan, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Registered Nurse, Certified in Advanced Cardiac Life Support, Pediatric Advanced Live Support.

What is infiltrate in the lungs

I seem to have pneumonia. I had my chest x-rayed and was told that I was showing infiltrate in my lungs/chest. What exactly is infiltrate? What is it's normal source, duration, and risks to one's health? Is it normally cured with an anti-biotic or naturally? Is there an anti-biotic recommended more than any other?
Category: Health
Expert:  nurse_Dan replied 7 years ago.
An infiltrate is a spot of the lung that means you have pneumnonia. It is what we look for on a chest x-ray when looking for pneumonia.

So yes if they saw a infiltrate you have pneumonia and should be treated with antibiotics.

The bigggest antibiotic being used these days seems to been avelox. If is very effective against most of the bacteria that cause pnuemonia.

Other antibiotics used include zithromax, ceftin, augmentin, amoxicillin, levaquin, and rochephin. Any one of these would certainly be appropriate to treat your pneumonia.

Most pneumonia is coumunity accquired pneumonia. You can look this up on the internet. Its basically pneumonia in the coumunity. This is basically pneumonia acquired outside of the hospital.

http://www.clevelandclinicmeded.com/diseasemanagement/infectiousdisease/communitypneumonia/communitypneumonia.htm

http://www.cincinnatichildrens.org/health/info/chest/diagnose/pneumonia.htm

These websites will further help you understand this.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have other questions.

nurse_Dan, Nurse (RN)
Experience: Registered Nurse, Certified in Advanced Cardiac Life Support, Pediatric Advanced Live Support.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My first and primary question concerned the infiltrate in my lungs which I had already been told amounted to pneumonia. I was looking for something more informative from you. I do not think that I should have to spell out every sequential question, but what is infiltrate: fluid or some other matter, fluid with bacteria, bacteria alone? What is the source of infiltrate? Is is a body excretion or what? What is it's source or primary sources? What triggers or intitiates the existence or migration of infiltrate?

Your answer seems to be something most of us could find in a medical dictionary or book. Your website states that you have thousands of qualified medical profesionals on staff to answer questions.

Please give me a more informative explanation or refund my $ 15.00 please.

Dennis Porath (NNN) NNN-NNNN
Expert:  nurse_Dan replied 7 years ago.
A infiltrate is the pneumonia in the lung. It represents pus, blood, water, or tissue is filling alveolar spaces. These 4 causes of the infiltrate will have the bacterial in them.

The source of the infiltrate is usually coumunity acquired. This is why I gave you the information about coumunity acquired pneumonia. Coumunity aquired pneumonia is the cause of the infiltrate. It is not a bodily excretion. It is something we pick up in the coumunity, hospital or nursing home.

It is impossible to tell the exact cause of the infiltrate based on the x-ray alone. You would need a blood cultrue or sputum culture to find the exact pathogen causing your pneumonia.

I will tell you that 85 percent of pnuemonias found in the coumunity are caused by Streptococcus pneumoniae. But if you caught pnuemonia from a hospital or nursing home there is a much larger possiblity the pneumonia is caused by a different pathogen. You have an even larger group of pathogens to try to rule out when acquired in the ICU.

Other causes of infiltrates are H. influenzae, Mycoplasma pneumonia, Pseudomonas pneumonia, Haemophilus influenzae, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Staphylococcus aureus, Legionella pneumophila, These are the typical causes of the infiltrate. Most antibiotics marketed to treat pneumonia will kill these bacteria.

You could auctually find all of the answers your questions on the internet. All of the infomration could be found on the internet. If you do a search for infiltrates you will find it.

Also you have not and will not be charged for anything as of yet. You will not be charged until you hit the green accept key. So if you are not satisfied with the answer do not hit the green accept button and you keep your money.

I am trying to help people wit their medical questions because I like to do this. I don't do it for the money. So if you don't like the answe don't accept it. This would not bother me one bit.

I really don't understand why you want all of this detainled information about a infiltrate. A infultrate is simply what we see on a chest x-ray in the lung when a person has pnuemonia. This is caused by anyone of a number of bacteria listed above. We trat it will antibiotics designed to kill those bacteria. The risk to ones health include respirtory arrest if not treated and untimately death. If treated the risks are not many and the illness usually gets better in about a week.

I hope this helps