Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

My blood pressure is 165/125 and my heart rate is 122. I ...

Customer Question

My blood pressure is 165/125 and my heart rate is 122. I also have have Addison's Disease and Hypoklemia. What do you suggest and think is the cause. My blood pressure and heart rate has been like this for 4 days.
Category: Health
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Expert:  nurse_Dan replied 10 years ago.
I am sure you are taking hormones to make up for the defiency. My best gues to what is happening is that you are over medicated. Essentially you are taking to high of a dose of the hormones that have been prescribed to you. Now instead of not having enough of these hormoses you have too much of them. You are now getting the oppisite reaction than you had before.

This is very common when we treat any illness. For example we treat high blood pressure and bring it down. If you give too many or too high of a dose of medications it gets too low.

What you need to do is too hold your medications untill you speak to the doctor that prescribeds them. There should be someone on call so you should be able to talk to someone. You need to let them know this information and any symptoms you are having. They will be able to guide you on what to do next.

You might need some blood worl to see what your levels are. But I would give them a call in the morning.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have other questions. I would be glad to answer them.

Expert:  Family Physician replied 10 years ago.
I would recommend that you be evaluated in the ER tonight. Your blood pressure is dangerously high.

Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
I have been to the hospital a lot for this and my potassium is either very low or I am having a major addison attack due to extreme levels of stress and tachcardia.
When were you there most recently?
An Addisonian Crisis involves hypotension (LOW blood pressure)

This is a hypertensive crisis
http://www.postgradmed.com/issues/1999/05_01_99/bales.htm
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
my k was 2.8 four weeks ago and I was in the hospital 2 1/2 months ago.
As you may know, low potassium can lead to serious heart rhythm problems. Blood pressure this high can lead to stroke.

I would again suggest that you go to the closest ER to be evaluated!

I work ER part-time in addition to my Family Medicine practice, and would advise ANY patient that called me with these symptoms to come to my ER immediately.