Theresa, Medical Intern
Experience:  Currently a student in Medical School to obtain my MD in General Medicine

What does precancerous cells on the vaginal wall mean

Pap smear was abnormal. Copo done and biopsy taken. Results were precancerous cells on the vaginal wall. Now referred to as mild dysplasia. I have no ovaries, no uterus, no cervix).
Category: Health
Expert:  Theresa replied 9 years ago.

You indicate that you have had a hysterectomy when you say that you have no cervix, ovaries, or uterus. The important thing for you to know is that you can get cancer even without these.

Mild Dysplasia is indicating that cancerous cells have been seen on tissue that was removed during the biopsy. The biopsy was most likely done to determine whether or not the cancer cells had become invasive or what stage they were in. Sis they give you a stage with this diagnosis, 1 through 4? If not then the cancer cells have not yet become invasive. Did he name or identify the type of cells that he removed?

Your gynecologist will follow up with one of these instructions most likely:

1.) He will either have you return in 3 to months for another pap, or 2.) He will admit you into the hospital to remove the cells from the vaginal area they were detected in (he will actually take a little more than this, to ensure that all of the cells are removed) so that healthy cells will develop in their place, or 3.) He will do the procedure in his office if the affected area is small.

While tis isn't an answer that is enjoyable providing, it is comforting to know that you are taking care of yourself. With this, I am comforted, realizing that you can have this problem taken care of easily and I know you'll maintain your good health for many years to come.

If this information has been helpful to you then please do ACCEPT by clicking on the green button that is located on your screen. Peace Be With You