CorpsmanUp
CorpsmanUp, Former U.S.Navy, Hospital Corpsman
Experience:  Over 4 years of providing direct, clinical medical care.

What symptoms would you have with a herniated T10-T11 and ...

What symptoms would you have with a herniated T10-T11 and T11-T12, and a bulging annulus in T12-L1? These are the results of my MRI
Category: Health
Expert:  CorpsmanUp replied 7 years ago.
The main symptoms would be pain in the legs, shooting pains that run down and through one or each buttock and down the leg, numbness or tingling to your legs, and coughing or sneezing makes the pain worse.

Since your herniation is at the T1 level and below, you may also have these same symptoms to the inside of your arms.

If this answer helps please hit the accept button. Thank you.
Experience: Over 4 years of providing direct, clinical medical care.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I knew about the leg and butock pain from the L5-S1 discs which I had a discetomy surgery from but now I am having pain on the left side a few inches up and over from where the L5-S1 is located. I thought maybe this pain was caused from those other discs that are heniated.
This pain can be caused by the other herniated discs. The T10-T12 nerve pathways go completely across the whole lower abdomen. If the disc is pressing on a nerve the certain way, this can cause pain, numbness, or tingling to this part of the body along with the other symptoms as stated above. This pain will most likely feel like a burning or stinging pain.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to CorpsmanUp's Post: The pain I am experiencing now is in my back on the left hand side about 4 - 5 inches up and over from the L5 disc incicsion area from my surgery(which I had 2 weeks ago). The pain is a strong stabbing burning pain that I expereince when I stand up or when I am in a sitting position. I feel like my back is going to snap in two. The pain is so severe that I almost black out. The pain subsides after I lay down flat on my back for a while. Does this sound like a reaction to some part of the surgery or is from those other discs that are herniated. Althouh the MRI report says that they are a small right paracentral disc herniation of the T10-T11 and T11-T12 and a bulging of the annulus T12-L1.
Since the pain is this severe, you need to see your doctor again soon, in the morning if possible. This pain could be caused from infection or a reaction from the surgery. This kind of pain after back surgery is not normal and you do need to be evaluated.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I did talk to my doctor and she thinks I pulled a muscle and I need to give it time but it sure feels more severe than that. I was at emergency last night and they said they could just give me medicine to control the pain and the surgeon would have to decide on something else. After pretty much insisting I got them to agree to another MRI but don't have the reults yet. I don't know if that will show any thing or not but she didn't say she wanted to see me so I hope that this showsomething.
Another MRI is probably the best thing they could have done for you. Scar tissue, inflammation, and infection are the main concerns for right now. If the medicine that they gave is not controlling the pain, you should see that doctor again. You should also ask about the MRI results. If you haven't tried this already, ask the doctor about Prednisone. This is a steroidal anti-inflammatory medication and can have a great effect on pain.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I actually started on a steroid pack today. Thank you for all your help this has been a frustrating ordeal. I thought that I had made the right decision because immediately after the surgey the leg and buttocks pain that I had for 6 months was gone. Now after almost 2 weeks I have severe pain again only in a different area. Will the MRI show inflammation, scar tissue and infection? Thanks for your help and for listening!
Your very welcome. MRIs can be tricky to read but yes they can show infection, inflammation, and scar tissue. The MRI results must be shown to your surgeon also. Since he/she has personally seen your insides, this will let him/her know if the area of pain is being caused by something with the surgery or if it is another condition altogether. Thank you for the accept and the feedback. James