DoctorL, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Degree

I am a 21 year old male experiencing rectal bleeding

Customer Question

When I wipe after a stool the toliet paper is covered in blood. This happens maybe once or twice every 2 to 3 months what could this be?
Category: Health
Expert:  DoctorL replied 9 years ago.

Just a few questions so I may better assist you;
Is the color of the blood bright red or more like coffee ground?
Hvae you had any changes in bowel movement?
Do you have any additional symptoms such as anal itching or discomfort when sitting?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to DoctorL's Post: The blood color is bright and there has not been any itching or changes in bowl movement. Should I be concearned?
Expert:  DoctorL replied 9 years ago.

Bright red blood in her stool is usually caused from lower gastrintestinal bleeding. This is most commonly due from Diverticulitis or Hemorrhoids. Diverticulitis is an inflamation of a small pouch in the large intestine, and sometimes they bleed. It is important that she get medical attention for this, you should not be bleeding. If it is due to Diverticulitis it can be easily treated with antibiotics.
Sometimes bright red blood in the stool may be due to rapid bleeding from the upper GI tract such as an ulcer.
You should definitaly see your physician in order to determine the cause of the bleeding and decide on proper treatment.

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions don’t hesitate to ask.

If you found this helpful please click the green Accept button.

Please leave Positive feedback...