shake_n_bake
shake_n_bake, Paramedic (EMT)
Experience:  E.M.T., Certified in basic life support, CPR, A.E.D. and nursing student
2678553

I have tender elbows that hurt to touch and if bumped are ...

I have tender elbows that hurt to touch and if bumped are terribly painfull.I have only had these symptoms for about 2 months now..and started after I had been working on something that required a lot of elbow power .."SANDING"..I am a healthy person with no medical conditions to speak of.. I seem to have a little bit of fluid on them and also my joints seem to be popping a lot now..I am 36 average weight and decent diet..I do use my arm and elbows a lot with my job..and at night my elbows hurt more and sometimes i cant bend them in the mornings..Thanks what medications will help this??
Category: Health
Expert:  shake_n_bake replied 7 years ago.
Sir, it would help me to know the following:

-How long have you been on this job that requires the arm and elbow power?

Thank you for trusting JustAnswer!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I install Car audio ..and often do custom jobs that require a lot of hand sanding.. I worked on a project for about 1 week with intense sanding and after that job was completed they started hurting..They dont appear to be noticably swollen but look slightly raised where the bone is,,and the bone is tender
Based on your description of your symptoms and your job, you may have bursitis. Bursitis is inflammation of bursa caused by repetitive use or trauma, in your case it's most likely the repetitive use. These bursa are flattened sacs that serve as a protective buffer between bones and these sacs are normally filled with minimal amounts of fluid to facilitate movement during muscle contraction. Symptoms of bursitis are localized tenderness, edema (swelling), erythema (redness) and reduced movement. You really need to see an orthopedist for proper diagnosis and about this as the fluid may be able to be aspirated (removed) or a shot of cortisone into the joint may relieve swelling and the pain.

Home remedies is to elevate both arms high on pillows, above the art, ice packs (20 minutes on, 20 minutes off) to the area, taking an anti-inflammatory drug such as motrin. You have to shorten periods of overuse and when you do have to use your elbows, you should apply cold treatments for 20 minutes every several hours. When sleeping at night, make sure the arms are up on pillows, above your heart as well. Certainly if these home remedies don't help you with any reduction in your symptoms in 7 days, you have to see an orthopedist.

If you would like to read more about this, I have provided a link to an excellent website for further reading (just click below).

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/bursitis/DS00032

Hope my answer has been helpful and you get relief soon!
shake_n_bake, Paramedic (EMT)
Experience: E.M.T., Certified in basic life support, CPR, A.E.D. and nursing student