Deborah
Deborah, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Registered NP - Multispeciality
761613

I have swelling right below my ankle bone on the ...

I have swelling right below my ankle bone on the inside of my foot, it is like a pocket of swelling. I also have some minor leg pain, and it also feel like a siatic nerve across my left buttocks, and down the back of my leg. what could this be?? it is in both feet but much more in my left foot
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Why haven't i been answered yet???

Some times there are more questions then there are experts to answer them.

I will try to help you.

Is there any redness or feeling of warmth to the area beside the swelling?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
no, I forgot to mention that I am overweight and I work long hours in front of a computor without getting much leg movement.
It is very important that you get up and take a walk around the house at lease once every 30 to 45 minutes. This helps drain away tissue fluid normally. While you are seated at the computer it is important to wiggle your toes and rotate your ankle until you can get up to walk. If you can manage to type, elevate it on another chair or stool.

Swollen ankles, particularly if one ankle is far more swollen than the other could be a sign of a DVT.

If you have localized pain or tenderness within a calf or thigh muscle, this is also a possible symptom of DVT, and more serious symptoms are the onset of a cough, increased heart rate, breathlessness, chest pain or palpitations.

Drink plenty of water and reduce your intake of sodium. When relaxing or at night, elevate this ankle higher than your heart.

Have this checked by your doctor.

Here is some info, let me know what questions you may have.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/thrombophlebitis/DS00223
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
What is DVT????
DVT is deep vein thrombosis, now more commonly called thrombophelbitis. It is very common in those people who sit for long periods of time.

Deep Vein Thrombosis is a condition resulting from the formation of a blood clot inside a deep vein, commonly located in the calf or thigh. DVT occurs when the blood clot either partially or completely blocks the flow of blood in the vein. Symptoms include a swollen ankle.

I provided you the link to read about it.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
IS THIS SOMTHING I SHOULD CALL MY DOCTOR ABOUT RIGHT AWAY, SHOULD I BE CONCERNED??
I would suggest that you elevate your ankle as much as possible today and even use ice to see if that helps.

If you have had this swelling for more than a few days and it is not painful, or red, it can wait until tomorrow. You definitely need to have this evaluated.

If you tolerate aspirin, then take two as this thins the blood. My concern is that you sit at the computer for long periods of time and only one ankle is swollen.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENS IS BOTH OF MY FEET SWELL BY THE END OF THE DAY, BUT THIS IS AN OVAL POUCH LIKE AREA RIGHT BELOW THE ANKLE BONE THAT IS SWOLLEN, IN THE MORNING THE NORMAL SWELLING GOES DOWN AND THE POUCH LIKE SWELLING GETS BETTER BUT LATELY THE LEFT FOOT POUCH LIKE SWELLING DOESN'T GO COMPLETELY DOWN WHEN I WAKE UP. THE RIGHT FOOT SEEMS TO BE OK.
Another consideration is venous insufficiency which involves one or more veins. Valves in the veins usually push the flow of blood toward the heart. When these valves are damaged, the blood leaks and pools in the legs and feet causing the swelling.

What you need to keep an eye on is for cellulitis,

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cellulitis/DS00450/DSECTION=3
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Deborah's Post: IS THIS SOMTHING I SHOULD RUSH TO THE DOCTOR WITH, WHAT SHOULD I DO?
No need to rush off to the doctor, but it is worthy of seeking an appointment within the next two weeks or so. He may decide to send you for an ultrasound to check for clots and may order additional testing to assure your circulation is ok.