shake_n_bake
shake_n_bake, Paramedic (EMT)
Experience:  E.M.T., Certified in basic life support, CPR, A.E.D. and nursing student
2678553

I developed a 1/4 in blue lump on my finger right ...

I developed a 1/4 in blue lump on my right pointer finger near the second joint below the tip. It is painfull to bend the finger and the finger is a little swollen as well. It is hard painfull to the touch. I am 50 yrs of age.
You could have an infection in the joint. You need to see an orthopedist about this because x-ray's need to be taken. You can try taking an anti-inflammatory (motrin), which doctor's recommend for the pain and to help bring down the swelling. You should also ice it for 20 minutes at a time, 3 times a day or more depending on the relief you get. This will hold you over until you see the orthopedist.

The treatment is really based on what is going on internally such as if a cyst developed, arthritic changes or if an actual infection is present. I cannot advise you much more on what else to do because this requires a thorough check-up by the doctor. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask!

Hope my answer has been hepful and you feel better soon!
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Thank you! It could be a cyst. I have had a gangli (not sure of spelling) on my wrist a couple of years ago but it was not blue. The pain and swelling was about the same. I do have arthritis in most of my finger joints as well. I have not had to take anything for pain. But I know its there. Again Thanks. I will check with my Dr on Mon. unless it get worse or changes then I will go to the ER.