haloprecious, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  graduate in Medicine,experienced in fields of medicine,gynae and pediatrics

My knees feel stiff and swollen, it hurts if I try to squat ...

My knees feel stiff and swollen, it hurts if I try to squat down or sit on the floor. I haven't fallen down or injured them lately. The swollen area seems to be widening up the thigh and down towards my calves. It almost feels like fluid. It reminds me of when I was pregnant and my ankles and feet were swollen. I have been having pain in my kneecaps off and on for a few years. When I go up and down stairs I can hear them grinding, that doesn't actually hurt but every once in a while I get this severe pain it last for only a minute or less but it feels like my knee cap it slipping out slightly and back in the socket.

This is the first time I have had this swelling in my knees. Its been over 24 hours I have taken 600 mg of ibuprofen every 4 to 6 hours it helps but as the ibuprofen wears off it feel swollen again and its starting to hurt a little, its more uncomfortable when I am sitting. And I notice it less when I am standing up. Any Idea what this might be?
Category: Health
Expert:  haloprecious replied 9 years ago.

There a lot of causes which could lead to pain and swelling in knee which can occur without any history of sudden trauma. These are-

• bursitis
  • tendinitis
  • arthritis-(osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis)
  • torn cartilage or ligament
  • blood acumulating in the knee joint
  • Dislocation of knee cap
  • tumour of the knees

From your description, the cause very likely seems to be dislocating kneecap with osteoarthritis. An X'ray is very essential and so is a consultation with an ortho doctor because of the presence of an obvious swelling, dislocating and hypermobile knee cap. This if untreated causes damage to the knee joint in the long run even if immediate pain and disability is less. Hope this was useful and you are welcome to ask doubts if any.